Fuel pump

martin53

So my car drives fine until I hit speeds of about 60 or so then boggs down. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump not pumping enough gas while driving. I have a clear filter and it does even fill the filter while driving. So what are my options. Is there a late model pump that will work? Should I rebuild it or run a electric pump. What pressure should the pump be. Thinking of going to a show this weekend so I'm trying to work fast.

Just now, martin53 said:

So my car drives fine until I hit speeds of about 60 or so then boggs down. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump not pumping enough gas while driving. I have a clear filter and it does even fill the filter while driving. So what are my options. Is there a late model pump that will work? Should I rebuild it or run a electric pump. What pressure should the pump be. Thinking of going to a show this weekend so I'm trying to work fast.

Sorry. It's a 1950 dodge coronet. Flathead 6. Not sure on the size.

Well before going anywhere else get a mechanical gauge and use it to check to see if it is the gauge or the engine. Before you shut it off did it make a lot of mechanical noise or was it quiet?

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

You do realize the factory gauge is mechanical and likely more accurate than the new stuff today.

I was more thinking of an alternative gauge to crosscheck the operation of the in dash gauge.  They can fail as well.

That said from martins last post It no longer seems to be needed since he says it is making a lot of noise.  Engine most likely needs work.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1