Original spec front shocks for 52 Plymouth Suburban

Ned Carz

Previous owner installed a bracket to immobilize control arms.... and installed different shocks.

I need to return to the original set-up.  

Can anyone suggest a Monroe or some other known make....

Or should i just bite the bullet and get Andy Bernbaum at $52 plus ship and wait a week.

I checked Rockauto because I just got some for the 49 Coupe ( I have a 52 Suburban as well ) $14 for Chinese made shocks or $17 for Monroe branded.

They only had the FCS Chinese ones when I bought mine.

They did not list fronts for the 52 Suburban. I next followed the post above and as near as I can tell the difference is in the bushings.

I can tell you there is not much of a problem to change the bushings. Almost any auto parts store has the rubber bushings.

So if that's what the hold up is get the 5752 Monroes or equivalent and change the bushings. That's what I will probably do for my Suburban.

• Like 1

Early front ends use a different shock than later ones, I want to say the cut off is 1950, but I know it applies to my 51.  So shocks that fit the earlier ones won't be right, collapsed and extended lengths are different.  I found a set of nice gas charged shocks that would fit, once I drilled the poly bushings out to match the stud.  You will need to reused the original nuts and washers though, or mod the supplied one to fit.

The shocks

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/CPP-DT-4809G-1955-72-Chevy-Truck-Front-Gas-Shock-Lowered,440140.html

For the rears, I am test fitting, hopefully, a set this weekend.