Complete noob to the Spitfire. Have a handful of questions.

Sienile

1 hour ago, Sienile said:

Thanks for this info. Is the slant 6 distributor able to bolt straight up? Already 12v? 

No it doesn't bolt straight up. here's a link to the conversion, which will require an electronic ignition swap as well.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mopar-flathead-6-distributor-upgrade-48-desoto.653565/

If you choose to keep the stock distributor and convert to 12v you will need a 12v coil, a ballast resistor and a new starter solenoid.  I used a Ford type with 4 terminals so I could use the "I" terminal on it to bypass the ballast in start.

Can't I just bypass the built-in relay and power the solenoid directly? Why would you need to bypass the ballast on startup? Wouldn't that fry the condenser?

Looking into the process, I figure it'd just be better to grab one of the 12v ready Langdon's. http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/#!/Stovebolt-Mopar-Mini-HEI-with-Square-Coil-Included/p/1222043/category=18665978 I figure it'd cost about the same and doesn't run the risk of me destroying parts I need for it like the guy that made the guide did.

I cannot answer any trans electrical related questions, since I know nothing about them.

You bypass the ballast in order to get full voltage to the coil during cranking only.  This is primarily because the starter will drag the system voltage down enough that having enough voltage left for the ignition system thru the ballast can be problematic.  If you look at any stock Mopar 12v ignition systems they do the same, though it is thru the ignition switch. 

As for the condenser, it doesn't care at those voltage levels. 

I don't know anything about Langdon's setup, but others have spoken well of it.  Myself?  I'll be doing the slant  swap and using it to trigger the EFI computer which will handle the ignition.  Till then I just run the stock points distributor.