Save Way to Send Gas to Carb When No Tank

Bingster

I'm stating my '47 S-11 for the first time in ten years. It turned over about two years ago. Anyway, I need to have a gas can running to the carb and wanted to now the best and safest way.

I saw on you tube two guys were doing the same thing. They had a red plastic gas can going to a small pump sitting on the car fender going to the carb. I'm not certain where they connected it to the carb.

I use my 2 gallon gas can sitting on the bumper. I have tie wire holding it in place, then I have 6'-7' of fuel line attached to the fuel pump.

The hose actually comes out through the small marker light on the passenger side.

No idea how safe it is, but I can start it and move the truck as needed.

I still have some welding & paint in front of me, installing the fuel tank & lines will be after.

Not too hard to find those outboard tanks this time of year at flea markets and yard sales. Before I had my fuel pump rebuilt I rigged up an electric pump, using rubber hose and a barbed fitting to connect to the carb. Then, there was the old guy I used to see around town back in the 80s with a gas tank mounted to the roof of his Willys pickup, gravity-feed style. Not a suggestion :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bingster said:

I'm stating my '47 S-11 for the first time in ten years. It turned over about two years ago. Anyway, I need to have a gas can running to the carb and wanted to now the best and safest way.

I saw on you tube two guys were doing the same thing. They had a red plastic gas can going to a small pump sitting on the car fender going to the carb. I'm not certain where they connected it to the carb.

You would connect the outlet side of the pump to the inlet of the carb - same as if you were running off the fuel pump

I'm doing the same thing with my 48 DeSoto soon.  I'm thinking of just putting the DeSoto gas tank up on a milk crate and screwing the gas line into the tank.  The body is off of the chassis that is why I need a milk crate.  Then I would prime the carburetor with gas and start the engine.  The fuel pump would them pump more gas up to the carburetor.  

Hi Marc,

I have seen you on this board for years now. I've just returned. I have a '47 DeSoto S-11 that's in pretty good shape overall.  But when I got it ten years ago, I was a newbie and did a stupid thing. I started taking it apart. Some things like screws I labeled, but some I didn't.

I'm wondering if maybe you could supply me with some idea of where certain things go. I have managed to remove, blast, prime, and paint the interior floor pans: and all the door frames inside. Stuff like that. I have a pretty good collection of New and NOS sources, plus a lot of technical material I've copied off this site.

Be happy to share if you need something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bingster said:

Hi Marc,

I have seen you on this board for years now. I've just returned. I have a '47 DeSoto S-11 that's in pretty good shape overall.  But when I got it ten years ago, I was a newbie and did a stupid thing. I started taking it apart. Some things like screws I labeled, but some I didn't.

I'm wondering if maybe you could supply me with some idea of where certain things go. I have managed to remove, blast, prime, and paint the interior floor pans: and all the door frames inside. Stuff like that. I have a pretty good collection of New and NOS sources, plus a lot of technical material I've copied off this site.

Be happy to share if you need something.

I did the same sort of (dumb) thing myself, on my 46 Plymouth.  Only I did it over 40 years ago.  I had to mix bolts and stuff together because I (acid) stripped, glass bead blasted, and then replated lots of the hardware.  But not only did I not make notes about what size bolt went where, some of that stuff disappeared during the years of storage.  (But I also BOUGHT the car already partially disassembled, so some of the parts I'm missing now, I don't know if I actually ever had them.)  I thought I would get it back together within a short period of time, and I WAS making good progress in the first first year & a half, but then I met my wife, and the project progress came to a halt. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bryan G said:

Not too hard to find those outboard tanks this time of year at flea markets and yard sales. Before I had my fuel pump rebuilt I rigged up an electric pump, using rubber hose and a barbed fitting to connect to the carb.

Might be a good idea to plumb in a filter downstream from the yard-sale outboard tank, not much telling what might be growing in it.   ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bingster said:

I'm wondering if maybe you could supply me with some idea of where certain things go. I have managed to remove, blast, prime, and paint the interior floor pans: and all the door frames inside. Stuff like that.

Sure, I'm becoming kind of an expert on putting an S-11 DeSoto together, but I'm not finished yet.  If you don't have the Parts Book for the S-11, get one.  It has lots of blow ups showing you where things go.  It also tells you size of bolts and nuts that go where.  One thing I did was go through my cans of unmarked nuts and bolts and size them with a nut and bolt gauge.  You can buy them at HD for about $2.  Also buy a cheap tap and die kit at HF as it has a thread gauge.  So I put all the 5/16 bolts in one can and labeled it, all the 3/8 bolts in another can, etc.  It's much easier than going through all of your cans of bolts to find the right size.  I also separated the machine bolts that go on the engine and trans, etc, from the sheet metal bolts that fasten the sheet metal parts like fenders.  The sheet metal bolts have an indentation on the head.   Also read through some of my threads.  There's a lot of expert advice there on certain subjects.  Good luck.  You can also send me a message if you get stuck.  Marc.

• Like 1

Thanks Marc. Yes, I have the Shop Book. I've figured that it becomes a process of elimination. As I reach a part that I have to attach, somewhere I have the screws. And they are in jars, not one big box.

Did you repaint the inside of the doors?

Marine tanks are convenient if you can find one.

For your needs something like this should work for you. With a twist though.

0822221550.jpg.6ddfb8767f8689cfeca327d2fa982460.jpg

My truck has a new fuel pump on it, so I secure the tank here and run the hose to the fuel pump because I know it works.

How invested are you in the vehicle? How long has it been since it was last driven?

The reason why I ask & just my opinion .... From the fuel tank along the frame is all hard fuel line. Right up to the fuel pump location. Then from the frame is a short rubber fuel line to connect to the fuel pump.

The frame is solid, the engine rocks back & forth with torque so it needs a flexible connection at this point.

So to me, this is the ideal location to hook up your gas tank, it is already setup for a rubber line.

You can prime the carb while starting the engine from a hand held bottle, It will run long enough for the fuel pump to start working on it's own.

You will hear how the engine sounds, if there are major issues that require a complete tear down/rebuild .... running for 45 seconds will tell you a lot.

Point is, you can probably pick up a new fuel pump from your local auto parts store for $20-$40.  It is possible your old fuel pump will not work.

Because of modern fuels, there is a good chance that if your old fuel pump does work, it will not work for long.

The modern fuels will eat the old rubber and a newer style rubber is needed to work with today's fuels.

For that reason I never tried my original fuel pump, the truck sat for 20 years .... I just replaced it.  I kept the original and put it in the packaging and stored it on a shelf so I can order a rebuild kit for it & use it in the future.