Lead Substitute

42D22

Ok. I was under the impression that hardened valve seats weren't used until lead was banned in the 70's.

If that is the case I will just stick with the higher octane fuel.

Edited by 42D22

One of those pearls of wisdom about the engines in our cars - hardened valve seats.  Engineered in part to extend the life of Chrysler product engines, not because of unleaded fuel, which probably wasn't much of a thought at the time.  Higher octane fuel is to reduce or eliminate pinging in higher compression engines than what we have.  They'll run a little hotter, but other than that, it won't hurt them, but it isn't at all necessary.

8 hours ago, 42D22 said:

Looking for a good lead substitute for the old Chrysler. Any suggestions?

Forget the additives and run the cheapest gas you can find.  ?

In order to keep the gas in the tank relatively fresh, I don't top off and only add about four gallons at a time. Adding some new gas to the tank freshens up the entire load. This means 'old' gas never sits in the tank for an extended time.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

The  additive that I use in my gas is the product made by Stabill 360  It protects the metal gas tank and also cleans the fulelines. This is a good product to us especially in the fall and over the winter time when these cars sit in a garage. I also put in some Liquid Lead to help the vales but not really necessary but also helps with the engine.

I get mine at walmart they are the cheapest.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Yes the lead additive is not required but it also helps with seating of the valves. As I said this is everyones option to use or not use but if it makes you feel good then do what you want to your engine.  So a little love and extra care willnot hurt your engine.

Rich

Good to know. Thanx for the input. I did know that there were exhaust valve inserts in the flatheads, but was unaware that they would be hard enough to withstand the lack of lead in the gas. Thanx again.