rebuilt carburator

capt den

just installed the rebuilt b&b 1 bbl on my 54 windsor with the 265 engine. then it started to rain so have not road tested yet. already it runs smoother and starts easier. previously had no working choke, so this is much better. i need to get some 50W oil for the oil bath air cleaner. as far as i know you should not use lighter oils in that air cleaner. road test will be soon and then i will know if the expense was worth it.    capt den

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Yes it is available.  But I'd just use straight 90w gear oil.  About the same viscosity as 50w engine oil. We tend to forget they are measure differently.

I shamelessly stole this chart from the Amsoil site.

Gear oil viscosity chart

Found this as cheapest avail. 50 wt . ?

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-SAE-Premium-Conventional-Motor/dp/B000CQ4DEG/ref=asc_df_B000CQ4DEG?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80127027724173&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726558021415&th=1

Do not need high performance oils for the air cleaner. Mix and use various weight to make the required wt.s work fine for me. Have done it with some left over motorcycle oil and something from whatever use I had to create wt. needed per manual for cleaner.

DJ

I changed mine the other day; the only thing I had enough of was some 20w (which is what my manual specs for winter use.) I might have used a bit much. Under acceleration it left quite a blue cloud until the level dropped! Seems fine now. Embarrassing but I chalked it up to some extra "top cylinder lubrication" :)

9 hours ago, wagoneer said:

https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Fluid/Motor-Oil-Series/NON-DET-MOTOR-OIL-50/NON-DET-MOTOR-OIL-50/

straight 50w non detergent from lubriplate. They have all the weights and combinations 

Yep, that's what I use in my oil bath air cleaners. Works well. If you drive in winter conditions you may want to use a lighter oil, then switch back to 50wt for the summer.

Pete

Gents,

You are over thinking this entirely. The Book even calls for 30 or 40 wt Oil in the Oil Bath filter when colder months are around the corner.

NAPA sells 50wt Racing Oil for those wanting to spend $8 a QT.

Tom

Edited by Tom Skinner
add