Black Fenders?

kencombs

I'm finally getting close to paint on my truck.  It's still all apart, but the cab will be getting its last  primer (I hope, blocking will tell) this week along with the bed.

Plan is to paint the cab before hanging the doors and the bed before setting it on the frame.

I've never seen a 54-60 with different colors on the cab and rear fenders.  But have been considering the idea painting the running boards and rear fenders black to contrast with the Viper read cab and bed.

Has anyone seen such a paint scheme on those years?  Opinion?  any links to pics of such?

My rear fenders took a LOT of work to make the ready for primer.  They are now in epoxy and will be coated with filler primer soon and block sanded.  Black would mean I'd  have to step up my final blocking and final sanding quality control!

That should look pretty sharp. I haven't seen any on the larger rear fender Dodges but there are some Ferds around painted like that. You thinking of something like these?

red-black.jfif red-black2.jfif

Yes, similar to those Fords, but running board and rear only.  There is no visual separation of the front fenders from the cab on the 

dodge so I don't think it would look right.  Those Ford fenders aren't flush with the doors like mine and does look OK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Dodgeed said:

Here is a picture of my red truck w/black running boards, FYI. 

51 Dodge At Wellesley.jpg

Good looking truck!  I am using a brighter shade of red and blackwall tires.  Wheels are undecided at this point.

Still considering the fenders.  If black I'll also do the front bumper and grille bars in the same.

I really like the idea of red & black two tone paint. My idea of two tone on our old trucks ... yours have full fenders.

I have seen many old black & white photos from the past where our trucks followed the body line across the doors around the cab and ends behind the bed.

I have seen a lot of commercial trucks use this scheme. While the top is optional, I'm just talking the lower 1/2.

To me this just looks correct, not painting the door and rear of cab would look wrong to me.

There was a old Steven Seagull where he drove a 49 chebby truck red & black fenders. I've always wanted a red & black truck since then.

The Fords & Chebby of the era the fenders protrude from the body & look great .... the Dodge had modern sleek body lines that require the door painted also.

Dodge B Series Market - CLASSIC.COM

I dunno, my truck was black from the factory, I'm not sold on two tone paint for our trucks ... I'm going black .....

085_zpsy2w98vuy.jpg

There is always more then one way too skin a ..... do a two tone paint.