New Co pilot

greg g

Got a new GPS, his first trip in the  Coupe will be this evening to the local cruise in.  Just got him Sat from a rescue.  His name is Crash, his story is he fell or jumped off a truck at 65 or higher, truck left the scene.  Broke his left rear. Picked up by a good samaritan. Seems to be healed up well.  Still a little bewildered by last few weeks of challanges.  Shelter listed him as Airedale terrier, but his size is more in line with a Welsh terrier characteristics 13 inches tall 21 pounds, at 6 months.  He seems to be a good rider so far in our other cars.  Hope he gets on well in the Plymouth. 

20220815_112031.jpg

• Like 9

He rides amazingly well and has been very well behaved with strangers, kids and other dogs while out with us.  Doesn't like magna flow or other loud exhaust.

At home he is a wild man. Found him in the middle of the dining room table, chewing up napkins, also got an aluminum can out of the recycle bin, was chewing that.  No blood or small piec3s missing so probably OK.  He also has been hiding one of my shoes if I slip them off after sitting down in the living room.  He is a very hard headed fellow.  Smart but stubborn.   We are working him. Learning his patterns.

We have had two other dogs to obedience  school, an Afgan hound and a Bernese Mountain Dog.  Both did passably  well.  Using the same training techniques on this guy is like water off a ducks back. You can tell he knows what to do, but all in HIS OWN TIME.

He is not really a barker yet.  The trash truck got a couple of barks today.  He did also notify us of a package delivery but settled down quickly.  He was quiet and friendly to Dave L, and Pete D at the Tuesday cruise in.

We are told the Lord works in mysterious ways. Sure glad this pup found his forever home.

Takes a lot of training for a dog to safely ride in the open bed of a truck. Some dogs just take naturally to it, while others will never be safe ....

Some will be ok with a lot of training & experience .... riding around on the farm while doing chores, eventually taking a short trip to town at 35mph. Working up to trips at higher speeds.

I often see farmers with their dogs riding in the back at 75mph while moving between one field to the next. Very well behaved & enjoying the ride.

A little 6 month old puppy not properly restrained while training .... equal to child abuse in my book.

He is in good hands now.

I have a dog that was abused & abandoned at about 6 months, we got her at about 10 month old and partially wild.

She has some strange quirks she will never get over, taught to her from her early days.

Daughter has a French pug that was the runt of the litter, her siblings always beat her to the food as a pup .... as a adult the dog just has a obsession for food and can never get enough.

Hard to say what if any Crash will get as he remembers his accident .... will be hard coded into his brain, difficult if not impossible to break.