acceleration hesitation

johnp

have a 1941 dodge starts right up hot or cold idles fine .But until it warms up there is a hesitation . If i shut the car off for 5 and start it still ok. lets say I go into the store for 15 min start it same thing there is a hesitation until it runs for a little bit. Once its warm doesnt do it anymore .Looked at the posts on here checked the things they said anybody with similar problems?

John

had carburator rebuilt last year recheck float level good accelerator pump works tightened intake manifold bolts carb screws - heat riser works changed plugs -checked condenser -replaced small wires in distributor -breaker plate moves free had the vacuum advance rebuilt no leaks- the timing is couple . of degrees advanced. Like I said after runn nig for a couple of minutes runs great. 

Thanks ,

John

Do the adjustments on it as well.  It's not difficult.

This is how it is done on my 51.  Yours may be different but the service manual should tell you how to do it, get one.

http://www.yourolddad.com/choke

Here is a link to the Sisson manual

https://p15-d24.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=116047

• Like 1

To clarify:

Assuming you drive to the store. Upon arrival the engine is fully warmed up from driving it. You shut off engine to go into the store. 15 mins later you come out to start the engine. It's still very warm from the drive to here. The engine starts fine, however there is hesitation under load when you driver away? It coughs and sputters? Then after it has run again for a while, seemingly the engine gets hotter again,  the hesitation clears up and it runs perfectly fine again?

Edited by keithb7

As mentioned, there is a very definite way to set the choke. The Sissons unit  is usually very reliable but I have had one go bad. 

If the engine is hot and you restart after 15 minutes it should not need any choke………unless it’s VERY cold outside. ?

Edited by RobertKB

14 hours ago, johnp said:

have a 1941 dodge starts right up hot or cold idles fine .But until it warms up there is a hesitation . If i shut the car off for 5 and start it still ok. lets say I go into the store for 15 min start it same thing there is a hesitation until it runs for a little bit. Once its warm doesnt do it anymore .Looked at the posts on here checked the things they said anybody with similar problems?

John

Sounds like strange symptom.   Needing choke/stumbling whe actually cold is sort of normal.  but, a 15 minute cool off is not normally enough time to need choke.  But, it may be a symtom indicating that it is too lean for some other reason.   I'd first richen the idle by 1/4 turn.  That richens the off idle transition as well.   Then check the adjustment and function of the accelerator pump.  Last, check for air leaks in hteentake or carb base.

My car used to do the same thing.  I would have to use the choke after a short cool down or it would stumble.  After I adjusted the valves the problem was solved.  I replaced the intake manifold at the same time so it could have been a leak on the intake.  That is unlikely because I had replaced the gasket on the original intake a few hundred miles before that.  But the car runs great now so it was one of those two things on the P15.

Do a vacuum test with a gauge.  Go to second chance garage for a how to, and comprehensive lesson on interpreting what the gauge tells you.  They also document how to set timing with the vacuum gauge.  Good stuff to put in your knowledge base.