Battery problem??

Worden18

Attempted to start the Meadowbrook last night and I could tell that the engine was cranking over slower. The battery died before I could get it started. I checked the battery with the volt meter and it said 6.32. I put the charger on it overnight. Tried to start it again this morning and same thing. Only this time after it died the battery measured 6.17.  How is this possible?  Maybe the starter is pulling it down?

Voltage isn't a good indicator of battery capacity. You might see a satisfactory voltage but when the starter's load is applied the current output goes flat.....common failure scenario.

Solution (assuming all connections are clean and tight):

Remove battery

Recycle battery

Install new battery.

?

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Thanks 1

your local big box store should have the ability to test your battery usually for free...I would suggest charging it and carrying it to them in that condition.  

you can have a few items relating to poor performance given a battery goes dead quickly....usually a amp draw test with the starter turning and also do not overlook checking your cabling and connections by way of voltage drop test....you will need a shunted meter for the amp test or a clip on DC inductive meter.

If you have a question to the voltage drop test, quick look online will spell this out so a contributor here will not have so much to type, same with amperage testing....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How old is the battery? Did you take off the three caps and check the electrolite reading for each cell. Remove the battery cable and clean the posts so there is not corrosion, clean the inside of each cable put on the battery felt washer to prevent corrosion tight cables. Also are you using  the correct size cables.

Richw

On 8/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, desoto1939 said:

How old is the battery? Did you take off the three caps and check the electrolite reading for each cell. Remove the battery cable and clean the posts so there is not corrosion, clean the inside of each cable put on the battery felt washer to prevent corrosion tight cables. Also are you using  the correct size cables.

Richw

Battery is about 1 1/2 years old.  Fleet Farm tractor battery.  They last about 2 years.  I did not take the caps off and test. I have the right size cables 00.  I don't believe there's any corrosion.  I'll get to this probably on the weekend.

A battery should last more that two years. I use a NAPA battery and get 6 on average. I have a trickle charger on my 6 volt battery that keeps it charged. The issue might be the starter motor could be starting to go. Suggest that you pull it out and have it tested. Could be brushes in the started motor or even a bearing casuing it to turn slower.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1