Power To The Plymouth?

Bob Riding

I'm looking at enhancements for my '40 wagon, and since it will be getting a heart transplant soon (230 engine and power pack setup) from a '56 Plymouth, I started wondering what other more modern technologies would be transferrable to the old girl.  The '56 has power brakes - I don't think the original is in good enough shape to use, but I wonder if there are aftermarket vendors who sell "universal" power brake kits to boost the old drum brakes?

IMG_4226.jpg

There are kits which can connect to single circuit brake systems.

They have a remote mounted vacuum chamber and can go anywhere.

Moss Motors has a kit they make for English cars.

The first time I saw this type of system was on a 1968 Volvo P 1800 sports car. The Volvo had dual circuit brakes and used two of them. If memory serves me it was a Girling manufactured system. I drove the car and it performed without any indication anything was different. Good pedal modulation etc.

I suspect this type of brake boosters are still made. Perhaps a photo and a trip to a large brake rebuilder could put you on the right track.

I seem to have a memory of a DeSoto with this type of system on it.

The nice thing about them is you don’t have monkey around with changing pedal assemblies or anything else.

A hydraulic line from the existing M.C. Connects to the booster and a hydraulic line back to the brakes, then finally a vacuum line. Plug and play.

49 minutes ago, Loren said:

There are kits which can connect to single circuit brake systems.

They have a remote mounted vacuum chamber and can go anywhere.

Moss Motors has a kit they make for English cars.

The first time I saw this type of system was on a 1968 Volvo P 1800 sports car. The Volvo had dual circuit brakes and used two of them. If memory serves me it was a Girling manufactured system. I drove the car and it performed without any indication anything was different. Good pedal modulation etc.

I suspect this type of brake boosters are still made. Perhaps a photo and a trip to a large brake rebuilder could put you on the right track.

I seem to have a memory of a DeSoto with this type of system on it.

The nice thing about them is you don’t have monkey around with changing pedal assemblies or anything else.

A hydraulic line from the existing M.C. Connects to the booster and a hydraulic line back to the brakes, then finally a vacuum line. Plug and play.

Awesome info- thanks Loren - I will check it out.

I have seen (on this site and on the web) dual reservoir master cylinders which do not mess up your pedal arrangement and ups the safety factor on these old cars. Does the performance of the stock drum brakes improve in effectiveness as well ? Anyone have any feedback on this mod? M

A booster will make it easier on your foot, it won't stop any better if you can already lock up the drums.

Assuming the current system can lock up the brakes you have two interrelated systems that need addressed.

More tire, stock skinny tires will negate any braking system improvements.

More brakes, once you up the tire contact patch you may find your stock brake capacity is exceeded.  Options can include, no promises on finding them though, better friction material, larger drums or a swap to the largest discs that will fit inside your rim.  There have been several recent threads detailing the various disc kits, I did one for Rusty Hope detailing all the ugly as well as the good, on my 51 Cambridge. 

As for the VH44 booster, it is adequate for an all drum setup (820 psi out), the VH40 is better for front disc/rear drums (1470 psi out).  No idea how well the chinese knockoff works or lasts though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

As for the VH44 booster, it is adequate for an all drum setup (820 psi out), the VH40 is better for front disc/rear drums (1470 psi out).  No idea how well the chinese knockoff works or lasts though.

I've been lucky using the Chinese stuff.  Replaced the turbo on my grandsons Cruze using the turbo core from eBay.  105 bucks vs GMs 600+.  Worked fine.   Not saying they all are good, just my experience.  Buy through ebay and they will take care of you if the seller won't.  At least that's been my experience.

I would like to find some detail on the boost performance of those.  Seems to me the output would be related to the input, almost in a linear fashion.

But have found nothing to support that.   I mean 820psi is easily obtained without a booster!  Most pedal arrangement provide at least a 6:1 ratio and 125 lbs is easy foot pressure for most people.

I know, getting specs is hard.  PBR gives theirs but there is no info other than max output.

Sure soon as I say that I find this thread, more info but not exactly what I think it is you are looking for.

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/topic/7744-vh40-vh44-vacuum-boosters/

Edited by Sniper

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

I know, getting specs is hard.  PBR gives theirs but there is no info other than max output.

Sure soon as I say that I find this thread, more info but not exactly what I think it is you are looking for.

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/topic/7744-vh40-vh44-vacuum-boosters/

Yes, that helps alot.  i had no idea there were that many models.  Might have to rethink using a hydroboost