Clutch release bearing sleeve question -- 1941 Dodge D-20 (Canadian)

lizmcl527

Getting some clutch work done on my '41 Dodge Kingsway (Canadian-built) and have run into some oddities that don't match up between what's on the car and what the parts book says should be on the car. I have a cracked clutch release bearing, showing part number 1124786, which has been on the car since I got it (fourth owner since 1941, so who knows what went on) but the parts book calls for 671950. The release bearing on the existing sleeve has a larger inner diameter than the bearing I got with the 9 1/4 inch clutch kit (9 1/4 plate has been on the car since I got it) and wouldn't fit the 1124786 sleeve in any case. I can get a 671950 easy enough, but not so much luck with a 1124786, which seems to date to 1937 or so.  Has there been some kind of random parts swapping going on deep in the car's past, or was this a common switch? Can I use the 671950 sleeve that the parts book says should be there? Transmission is non-Fluid Drive, and I have no reason to think it isn't the one that came from the factory. Thanx for any advice!

Edited by lizmcl527
Bad eyes!

Hmm. Stamping on the piece I have is not 1124787 -- on closer look it may be 1124780 or 1124786, but definitely not 7. And I'm not getting any hits for that number anywhere.  On the opposite side of the piece there's a triangle-in-a-circle mark, a 5, and the DPCD logo, so it seems like an original Mopar/Chryco part and not aftermarket. Inner diameter of the sleeve is 1 1/4., assembly is 2 1/8" high, width at the widest point of the spring ears is 2 7/8".

Nope, doesn't have that third projection aside from the two spring ears.  Mine has just the two ears. I don't have a cellphone or a digital camera (last person alive who can say that) or I'd post a photo of mine -- it looks like the 671950 I see on a couple of eBay listings, but I'm wondering if there's some random weird Canadian size difference between that and the one I have. I've gotten caught out on things like that before.

Didn't see that listing -- thanks. Mine doesn't have that bossing at the top of the casting -- it's straight-sided, like this photo (not mine, but also listed on ebay as a 671950. The dimensions look right, though. I'll take a chance and see how it goes. Many aspects of this car have turned out to be not quite what the parts manual say they should be, so it's been an interesting adventure.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by lizmcl527
add photo

I looked in my Federal Clutch release bearing catalog and according to them the correct  clutch release hosuing number for Mopar number 671950 and 658998 is P-1054.

The P-1050 is the housing and also has the throwout bearing attached to the housing and these were used for MoPar cars from 1937-41

the bearing number sold seperately is a 1054 bearing

The housing that you have shown is the same housing that is used inmy 39 desoto without the bearing attached to the housing

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

My Canadian Parts book (for 1941 D20) calls for part number 671950 for the sleeve and 658998 for the bearing. This is consistent with what is stated above. The only 11XXYYY numbers in my book (which covers 1940 to 1947) are for 46-47 MOPAR's but do not include your number 1124786 (or 1124780). 

Phil

The 671950 has arrived and is identical to my cracked original -- and interestingly, the only number visible on it is 1124780, so as Sniper hypothesized, that must indeed be a casting number.  It looks like the original had a mismatched bearing applied to it at some point before I got the car, but I have the correct 658998 in hand and will hopefully be back on the road soon. Thanks to all who helped out!

• Like 1