How do you wire the engine for start up when the body isn't on the chassis yet?

MarcDeSoto

I can't find a wiring diagram that tells how to wire up the engine before the wiring harness is installed.  since the body isn't on the car, I suppose the accelerator is just the rod activated by your hand.  Does the neg. side of the coil go to the neg. battery terminal?  Does the pos. side of the coil go to the distributor ground connection?  I know how the starter crank is wired.  Am I on the right track?  

Marc, Classic Wiring has created color laminated wiring diagrams for all American cars in full color. I like the 11x171/2 one it works great for me. (888)606-5319

(www.ClassicCarWiring.com) Happy wiring

I don't have the wiring harness installed yet and the body is off of the chassis.  I'm just trying to start the engine to see if everything is OK before I put the body back on.  I already made my own blown up, color coded wiring harness which I displayed here a couple of years ago.  

If you just want to run the engine in-chassis before everything else goes on, you just need a jumper wire from the Neg battery post to the (-) terminal on the coil. Something that can be removed easy to shut off the engine. The (+) side of the coil connects to the distributor as usual. Get an inexpensive gauge set and connect them up to monitor oil pressure and coolant temp. Hotwire the starter and "Let 'er Rip". 

• Like 2