Cheap aftermarket parts

I have often heard people complain about the cheap Chinese after market junk out there.  I can now say I have experienced it first hand.  I installed a new fuel pump on my 47 Dodge 1/2 ton.  It had not been started in 20 years.  After a a lot of small projects I was able to get it started.  We let it run for about 15 minutes.  We identified some other work that needed to be done.  I rebuilt the carburetor and the distributor.   I install them and started the truck again to fine tune it.  After 5 minutes it died and would not run unless I feed gas into the top of the carburetor.  It was not getting any gas.  I pulled the fuel pump to see if it was clogged.  When I pulled it off parts fell out.  The pivot pin the pump arm rides on had slipped out, the spring and one piece of the pump arm ended up in my oil pan and the pin and other piece of the arm ended up on the ground.  I found a guy on eBay manufacturing fuel pumps for just that reason.  It specifically called out the issue I experience with the cheaper aftermarket parts.   Apparently the pivot pin falling out is a common problem.  

The pin falling out is like a right of passage now. Be happy yours happened at home. Mine happened on the highway with my pregnant wife riding along 

Yes, I guess it can always be worse.  I am hoping the Carter name still represents quality.  I just ordered a carter fuel pump. Fortunately NAPA said they would take the bad one back and refund my money.  

Edited by dgrinnan

Yup... it's a pretty common failure these days. Mine happened at a busy intersection during afternoon rush hour. Another motorist had a tow strap and offered to tow me out of traffic and into a parking lot. I happened to have rebuilt my 'old' pump with a kit from Antique Auto Parts Cellar and had it stashed under the seat. A few moments later I had the pump swapped out and was on my way. That rebuilt pump has been in service ever since without issue. The 'failed' pump also got a rebuild kit from the same source and now resided under the seat... just in case... 

The rebuild kits come with a pin with retainer clips instead of relying on a press fit. I've heard of several people staking the pin on new pumps to prevent this common failure. 

I agree about the terminology.  Not cheap, junk or substandard is a better description. I was at a car show with a friend.  He had restored a 1985 El Camino.  While at the show people around his car heard a loud pop as if someone had thrown a rock into his door.  He did an inspection and found nothing.  20 minutes later, same thing.  Still nothing.  At the end of the day when he started to leave, he opened the drivers door and it came off in his hands.  The "substandard" Chinese bolts he used on the hinges broke under the weight of the door.  Snapped right in two. He also found stress cracks in the other door bolts both sides.  He replaced them all with American made hardened bolts

Edited by dgrinnan