OEM Cranking Amps 6v Flathead Six 1942?

I have a 1942 flathead six that I am trying to leave 6v bc most of the wiring is still there on my 3/4 ton weapon carrier chassis. I had the starter rebuilt, but does anyone happen to have a booklet or information on how many cranking amps the original batteries had? I have it hooked to

a 6v battery but I think the amps of this battery may have destroyed the armature before the starter was rebuilt and don’t wanna have that happen again. Thanks In Advance

14EDEA2D-F5B2-4D37-B54F-48AC8828E31F.jpeg

You can't have too many cranking amps available from the battery. The starter will only draw the amperage it needs to run. The most common issue for good cranking function is poor, or too small, battery cables. Larger is better. Make sure all connections are clean and tight and the cables aren't corroded. Also, be sure your battery cables are 0 gauge at minimum. If the cables are too small, or there is a lot of corrosion within the cable and/or connections, then the cables will consume some of the available amperage which will cause a voltage drop at the starter motor. This voltage drop and poor current flow will be more detrimental to the starter than to much battery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1