USMC Flag

Captain Neon

I was never in the US military.  My uncle, however, is a Marine Corps veteran who served two tours in Vietnam.  While my uncle served in Vietnam, my father displayed the Marine Corps logo on his car.  I have a flagpole in my front yard.  I routinely change out my flags for special occasions.  I regularly fly an Irish flag bearing my family crest on my wedding anniversary and my parents' wedding anniversary.  I have been wanting to display a Marine Corps flag on this flagpole on the Marine Corps birthday (November 10th) and my uncle's birthday (April 22nd).  I have been hesitant to do this as I was never a Marine, and am hesitant to offend any of my neighbours that may have served.  My uncle lives 700 miles away and will likely never see this tribute to him.  I would welcome the opinions of the Marines on this forum.

Semper Fi.jpg

i know several folks in my area that fly the marine corps flag.  they didn't serve, but they have a relative (grandson in one case, son in another) that was/is a marine.  i see it as honoring them by flying it.  i have many friends who served in the USMC; not one is bothered by someone flying the flag.

i would only add, fly a good flag, don't let it get ratty/tattered (remove it when it starts to show wear).

• Like 1

I knew a guy who never had the first sport car of any type and he always was wearing a BMW, Corvette or Mustang etc logo jacket....I guess in a way he may have been smarter....sometimes it is nice to walk home with a jacket on....surely the above would leave you stranded as it is....?

fly the flag....while I serves Army and Air Force....I did about 16 years DoD supporting the Navy and identify with many ships and submarines....I ever worked a tad on the Iwo Jima....(USMC missions)  sadly I was there in the Persian Gulf the day the steam valve blew.  Sad event, if nothing else, fly it for the guys who died that day in the accident.

Not a former Marine myself, but I've been surrounded by them for a very long time.  I know former Marines that would be offended by you flying the USMC flag if you were not one yourself.  Those tend to be of a younger, more selfish generation.  None of the "older" former Marines I know would be offended, but they would want to know if you served, then be appreciative of you honoring your relatives' service.  As those young'uns age, their attitudes tend to change to that of the older Vets.