cranbrook '53 convertible strange noise...

bluefoxamazone

When driving, I hear a strange noise of which I can't point to anything so far... It's a noise compared to a bunch of crickets under the car. I have the feeling that the noise is less when the car has to pull (driving uphill) and the noise is stronger when you take the foot of the gas. Could this have something to do with te universal joint? I have checked for loose connections and greased everything possible even the springs... any of your wisdom is welcome. 

Thanks,

greetings from Belgium

You must try to find the noise´s syncronistaion:

e.g. corresponding to beats from a rough street

or to rpm?

My universal joints (having to much play) sound like a pot with some big bolts.

It can be tracked by the clutch, evoking or shuting it down.

When the car ist lifted, you can evoke such a noise by rotating

the propeller shaft back and forth. This type of noise is very typical

Wheel bearings can be tested at the same moment.

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

Edited by Go Fleiter

thanks for the replies so far. I am pretty sure that it has nothing to do with springs or shocks or so. On a rough road the noise is not worse.;

It is driving me nuts.. Wheel bearings.... mmm.... perhaps; How can I test this? There is no noise when the car is on the rotary lift and I spin the wheels.grtz

Look for exhaust interference with something under the car, manifold to rear bumper.  It tends to move with engine torque and could be touching somewhere or something.

Or rear spring noise when the leafs move against one another during torque changes. 

29 minutes ago, Tom Skinner said:

Intermidate chirping or squeeking - coming off the gas - possible pilot bearing going out???

Usually around 25-35 mph.? How old is the last clutch job/ what is the milage on the Clutch?

could very well be.. I have no idea how long ago the last clutch job was. The previous owner did that. On the other hand, the noise does not change if I push down the clutch pedal....thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

If it cranks easily and there's no traffic, you could put it in neutral and cut the engine off and let it roll downhill going at speed.  Then you know if it's a squeaky fan belt or something with the motor.  Could test it with clutch pedal pressed and out also.

• Like 1