Servicing a Detroit ball & trunnion joint

I’m ready to put the drive shaft back on but then I wondered if I should grease the Detroit style u joints I have. A while back I cleaned everything up and put new leather covers on. At the very least what kind of grease would I put in that grease plug ?  Wheel bearing grease ?   I think I remember cleaning and packing grease into these with my dad way back in 1974 so do you think I should leave that grease cover and gasket alone ? Not that many miles on them.  I sense pandora box here.  

1D2E7D56-E893-4099-9283-E41057389161.jpeg

I've never seen one with a plug before. I think I'd go to the parts store and get whatever goes in a CV joint. I used generic CV boots to replace my original and used the grease it came with. 

Ed, thanks for the reply because something you said made me think ? even deeper. When stuff like this happens it is constant on my mind...the rest of the day, right before I go to sleep, when I wake up.  CV boot.  Then I realized that the drive shaft that was cut dn to accommodate the overdrive is from the D-30 donor car. Ujoints are 1949 dodge coronet. I’m amazed the ujoints are similar throughout the years. I wanted to save the original drive line in case I went back to the original tranny. So triangulation between my dodge truck manual, motors repair manual, and a P-14 shop manual (which had the best info), I am to carefully pull the cap/gasket off and clean-degrease and replace with 1 1/4 oz of higher viscosity grease.  Pandora box as I suspected but it’s the right thing to do.  Gotta keeps the investment healthy, eh.  Again thanks for the memory jog. See, working on these vehicles is as good as learning a foreign language.  Ha

2 hours ago, Rodney_Hamon said:

Ed, thanks for the reply because something you said made me think ? even deeper. When stuff like this happens it is constant on my mind...the rest of the day, right before I go to sleep, when I wake up.  CV boot.  Then I realized that the drive shaft that was cut dn to accommodate the overdrive is from the D-30 donor car. Ujoints are 1949 dodge coronet. I’m amazed the ujoints are similar throughout the years. I wanted to save the original drive line in case I went back to the original tranny. So triangulation between my dodge truck manual, motors repair manual, and a P-14 shop manual (which had the best info), I am to carefully pull the cap/gasket off and clean-degrease and replace with 1 1/4 oz of higher viscosity grease.  Pandora box as I suspected but it’s the right thing to do.  Gotta keeps the investment healthy, eh.  Again thanks for the memory jog. See, working on these vehicles is as good as learning a foreign language.  Ha

So similar through the years my 64 belvedere still has one at the trans end behind the torqueflite

Started the process with the correct housing on the left in the vise. The pin, ball, and bearing rollers were so buried back I almost thought they weren’t there. Then I pulled a spare that I got a few years back from a P-20 for comparison.  I think this Detroit unit has never been apart. Then I gently pushed on the housing and thus the pin came forward. I’ll have to make a new gasket.   The blackish grease was kinda fibrous and packed well..but old and dry.  So it’s a good thing to clean and relive for sure.  

AF88738E-0BA0-4CCB-9F94-3617DBE0BC61.jpeg

Happy to report I finished both ujoints. I think cutting the new gaskets was almost more work than the cleaning and repacking with fresh grease. I chose 1/64” Karropak tan fiber sheet gasket material. Thin enough and resistant.  Permatex #2 form-a-gasket sealant on one side against the housing.  Sta-lube boat trailer wheel bearing grease seemed a good replacement match with the viscosity. Such a good decision to clean these up. 

97A44863-2D6C-4065-9C58-1CAF4C442161.jpeg