Driving an old vehicle on the roadways??

Mikec4193

I have two old cars ,my 41 Windsor convertible straight 6  and my 60 thunderbird with the 430 v8  ,both old cars and both as different to each other as they are to my BMW X5 ..  I love them all for their differences not their similarities!

• Like 1

Where I live in Maine, it's mostly 'back roads'. My P15 does 60 mph with no problems. I've been driving antique jeeps my whole life so I understand being aware of others on the road. When my Model A is finished it will be the same. My head is on a 'swivel' when I drive the old vehicles...no radios, cell phone to distract me. I also make it a habit to pull onto the shoulder, when safe, and wave the cars along that are behind me. (I actually wish modern cars would do the same if the driver is being a 'road hog'.) I keep my distance when in a line to be sure I can stop in time and use my hand signals when turning. What I enjoy most is the fact that the driver has to pay attention and actually drive the car instead of modern vehicles that are too easy to drive....meaning little challenge to staying aware of everything.

Craig

• Like 2

Mikec - I have my 48 Plymouth from High School.  two years ago I had a 2000 Dakota rear installed and I installed front disc brakes.  I have a rebuilt 230 block, I've kept it 6 volt positive ground.  Nice to drive but I need a front shock relocation done, so I don't boat around the corners.

Thanks everyone for the perspective. I am a driver of an original and not inclined to change things to modern. My problem is that 5 months of the year the car is parked due to winter conditions and I don't want to risk damaging my coupe. That means during the summer I take every opportunity to drive, to the store, to a car event or to the Provincial capital 75 Kms, that 46 miles away. Easy 55 mph and play it safe with extra distance, hand & mechanical signals, pulling over and making sure I know where I am going before I get into trouble trying to find a turn or off ramp. I think the most fun is when I am at a car show or club event and I invite someone to sit in the car and they experience the feel of the old stuffed seats that I enjoy during my drive. Yep it is a different world out there in an old car but I wouldn't change it for anything. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

So here is an update to the above post. Last Thursday I headed out to complete an 1100 mile round trip in my 46 in 4 days. Not fast driving just long stints behind the wheel. First I have to say the car ran exceptionally well. Thursday was very hot, 31 C or 87 F,  and my temp gauge went from the 160 standard to 175  but never climbed higher. I do not have the speedometer synchronized to the smaller wheels she came with but my calculations were that 65 to 70 on the speedometer gave me 55 miles per on the road. About 1/2 the trip was 4 lane divided highway and the rest was two lane undivided. Maximum speeds went from 100 to 110 KMH (60 to 70 MPH) Like mentioned above "head on a swivel and no distractions." Having never taken a long trip before preparation was key and from there it was sticking to the plan. The hardest part was in the bigger centers where signage wasn't always the best or only provided short notice. Regular stops along the way and a couple extra ones to check on folks who had broken down. Will I do another big trip like that again, probably. Will I do it alone again, probably not. Also a big Shout Out to Saskwatch who spent a few hours on the road himself to come down and see my car when I was driving in his neck of the woods. Good luck with your project! The best art of the whole trip for me was some new possibilities like those below. Safe driving everyone.

Cars.jpg

Cars 2.jpg

Cars 3.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Happy 46R said:

The best art of the whole trip for me was some new possibilities like those below. Safe driving everyone.

I sure enjoy the sight of a good salvage yard even if it is just pictures. "One man's trash is another man's treasure"

I have been driving my 1947 Desoto Suburban as our daily driver for 20 years. San Francisco daily traffic and hour and 20 minute rides to our place out of town on the freeway at 65-70 MPH. 

251 engine, three speed with OD and front disc brakes.

At 175K miles on the car and about 65K miles on a rebuilt engine it is time to go completely through the car. I look forward to another 20 years driving it.

James

• Like 3

I have a 3:73 rear, disc brakes up front, 15” radial tires, all else is stock on my 218 B3B truck. It’s in for repair now, but I drove it every where. On the freeways I always follow the trucks but can pass them at will. I’ve been up in the mountains and down rural vacant back roads, It is so much fun to drive. 

BCE5B9A0-8E35-4D8E-898D-C825CF5D3B0A.jpeg

703F845D-1D24-4A7B-9AD0-007126A9A5F9.jpeg

• Like 1

I think location has an awfully lot to do with the enjoyment level. I relocated to east TN a few years ago from Dallas, its much more pleasurable to drive anything here but especially the older cars. People here seem to enjoy seeing the older cars out on the road and give you plenty of space and time, in Dallas they saw you as a rolling roadblock and rage often set in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeRoy said:

I think location has an awfully lot to do with the enjoyment level. I relocated to east TN a few years ago from Dallas, its much more pleasurable to drive anything here but especially the older cars. People here seem to enjoy seeing the older cars out on the road and give you plenty of space and time, in Dallas they saw you as a rolling roadblock and rage often set in. 

Hey Leroy

I totally agree...to the point where next year I am moving to rural Kansas so I can build old heaps and actually enjoy driving them...right now I am in the middle of a housing explosion...all the folks from NYC and Long Island and moving here...since 9/11 this area has changed so much...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mikec4193 said:

Hey Leroy

I totally agree...to the point where next year I am moving to rural Kansas so I can build old heaps and actually enjoy driving them...right now I am in the middle of a housing explosion...all the folks from NYC and Long Island and moving here...since 9/11 this area has changed so much...

THIS ^^^^^^

When I left the SF Bay Area, both riding my motorcycle and driving (old and new cars) became exponentially more enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 12:37 PM, Hickory said:

This last weekend I finally got to drive my 29 DeSoto for the first time. I asked others how fast will this thing go and the reply was as fast as the bravery.  So through some city driving I go no problem. Then the county road and I did 45 and felt good. The way home I decided to push a little harder and 55 and comfortable. I was pleasantly pleased. So I still wonder how fast will it go but don't think I should push my luck.

Hickory: Glad tohear that you now can drive the 29 Desoto. Also glad that it runs well at 45mph and you were able to get the car upto 55 mph.  The best that I can say is keep driving the car and you will find the seet spot for the mph rate.  I drive my 39 desoto around the 50-53 mph.  I drove my 39 from valley forge to altoona for the NDC car show and tookthe Pa turnpike all the way out and back averaged around 16-18 mpg.  The faster that you are going you still have to remember that you are now driving 90+ year old car and that the stopping and braking distance is now greater and sloer than your modern car. So when driving the 29 you have to be more aware of the driving conditions, road conditions and traffic. My point that I use is if I see a traffic light inthe distance and it is red i slow down so as to try to time the light going to green.  If the light is green while approaching the light and I see alot of traffic on the ohtger lane than I feel as if the light has basically just turned green and I will get throught the greenlight, but if there is little traafic coming towards me than I anticiate that the light might turn to yellow and then red so I get prepared to stop.

On my rear licesen plate I have several bicycle red flashing light that work on battery power. These are bright evenin the daytime and I have also placed runner plastic refelective band around my bummper. These are not held on with glue but are a plastic band that is spring loaded and wraps around the bumper just like it can wrap around a runners arm or ankle.  I have these in all my cars for safety issue in case we break down at night so that an on coming car would see the refelctive color.

Would also suggest that you install a 6 volt rear windo 3rd brake light. These have turn signal capabilites along with four way and stop light. Most people look for the 3rd light now that they are standard in all modern cars.

Basically saying to be safe and make the car visible at all times.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I drove Dad’s ‘50 M-H grain harvestor . It was a hot dirty job, it had a mopar engine. We world put in 8-10 hours in the heat of the grain field. That engine never, ever sputtered.  If these engines are driven at the correct RPM’S and steady, they will run forever.  Once my truck is repaired, I would not hesitate to drive it coast to coast.  We move to Maine in spring, I may drive it out. Dress in ‘50’s clothing and eat at vintage diners. Would go about 350 miles a day and enjoy the scenery. 

DBAE6781-EE41-4B48-A94B-C76AB479C8FD.jpeg

BE58A1C8-329E-4967-B4F9-22C5B4A9D8E0.jpeg

• Like 2

I drive old cars almost exclusively. My daily, for the last 32 years, has been a 1970 F100, 300, 3 on-the-tree. Before that it was a 63 Falcon. My fair bride drove a 65 Mustang for like 10 years. Once I get it running good, my new daily will be a 53 Coronet.

Nothing against newer cars, but I just don't have fun driving them. Too quiet, too easy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Roscoe Clyde said:

My daily, for the last 32 years, has been a 1970 F100, 300, 3 on-the-tree.

I had a 78 F-150 300cu in 6, 5 speed bought it new and what the biggest P O S, I have ever owned. My 1st car was a 65 Barracuda 225 slant 6. Fantastic car!

Below here is my '38 Plymouth. I pulled off the 4 lane hi-way here in this pic, to take a break. The engine was a little warm, not hot. I was about a climb a long steep hill. I took a proactive 45 min cooling-off break. Then hit the hill. She pulled at 50 mph all the way up. No problem. Many folks overheat on this same hill. I did not. If you have driven to LA from Bakersfield, you know the type of hill I am talking about. Lots of folks overheat on that one. Imagine a 1938 Plymouth shooting past you while you are in the shoulder boiling over in your 2000 year car/truck. Lol.

4 lane hi-ways around here are pretty civilized. Speed limit is about 70 mph. Folks go 75-80 most of the time. Me at 50-55 mph,  it's fine. They breeze right around me. The two lane hi-ways are the biggest concern for me. Impatient folks right up my rear. Taking chances passing, to get around me. I pull over a lot and let anyone go by me. I get out of their way as much as I can. I'd rather be on a divided higher speed hi-way than a 2 lane, undivided hi-way, anytime. 4 lane seems safer to me. 

We don't have LA or Dallas type car congestion on our 4 lane hi-ways. Far from it. Dallas at 3 am has more traffic than we do at 5 pm on the Friday of a long weekend.  In that way, I am spoiled. My Plymouth has stock brakes, 3 speed transmission (no OD). 4,11:1 rear end. Stock size new, bias Coker tires. Stock worm gear steering. Stock driveline and suspension. Original 6V system. No seat bets. Vacuum wiper. Her biggest upgrade is a 25" long 237 ci engine. She pulls pretty dang good.  

Great car. I. enjoy driving her a lot. The coil spring seat does take a toll on my back after 4-5 hours of driving. Easy fix. 600 mg of Advil as needed and I'm good to go.

38 freeway.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I love driving my '50 Plymouth, although I'm still a little hesitant to do any long trips.  Don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, I guess.  I also enjoy working on the car when I can do the job, but I leave the more complicated and safety related jobs like brakes to my mechanic.  There's nothing like driving an old car if you want to be able to feel the road - no power steering, no power brakes, shifting gears, manual turn signals, etc.  Oh, and it also makes me feel young again, too!

2 hours ago, Rosco said:

I love driving my '50 Plymouth, although I'm still a little hesitant to do any long trips.  Don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, I guess.  

It can take a long time to build enough confidence to take the car on long trips. I can't say for sure why.  Everyone's personal risk level is different. I have AAA including towing coverage for about 250 miles. They'll tow my car might right to my door step. I have yet to use it, but it is nice assurance. The tow coverage is not enough to allow me to throw my cares into the wind and head out on longer trips. For me it took time to work out all the little bugs. Trial and error. See what happens when I do this, or that. Fix this. Check that. As a full time employee, a part time dad, and full time husband, plus another car taking up my time and effort, it can take a long time to get though every possible thing on one specific car. In time, you get there. I am 16 months into my '38 Chrysler ownership. It took me until today to feel confident on my 250 mile trip from home.  Last summer I took the car out on the hi-way. An hour from home. It surprised me and died on the road.  In the end was able to drive it home. My recent trip was trouble free. Saying that, I am not sure how I'd ever build up the confidence if someone else were working on my car.  Once you gain enough experience and tools, it feels like the only way to do things right is to do them yourself.

Today I was headed to visit a friend, far from home. For the first time ever I could choose either of my old Mopars to drive. Both are hi-way ready and I have  the utmost confidence in them both. That's a new feeling for me. One or the other needs this or that little thing fixed. Not today. Either car was good to go. It takes a lot of time and effort to get there.

I'm now wondering, what I am going to do with all my spare time and money? Lol.

Edited by keithb7

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I'm now wondering, what I am going to do with all my spare time and money? Lol.

You could give me what you don't know what to do with. LOL

We live at the base of the High Sierra’s.at 500’ above sea level. When we drive 45 miles to the east, we are at 6500’. When I test drive my truck, or when I get bored, i take that drive. After that drive, i’m not afraid to go anywhere. This winter I.will put either a T5 or an r10 overdrive in it. That will make it even more fun to drive. 

These vehicles are so dependable. I have a 3;73 rear end and disc brakes and I go where I want when I want. It cruses at 60 MPH and will go faster upon demand.  I’m still recovering from the Lyme infection so only at about 30% of what i was 18 months ago. Bad, bad stuff. 

My sportster is about ready to go. 20+ days above 100 and six more to go, slows one down. 

4FBC4AE2-2700-4FEB-92A1-12B0A2BD3242.jpeg

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

20+ days above 100 and six more to go, slows one down.

Yes it does, the hot weather here finally snapped, only in the 90's now.  Just finished up my garage alignment and headed to the gas station to fill up, then the car wash and the state inspection.  Then if I really feel like a masochist, the DMV.  Heck, I never put last year's sticker on, been down most of the year with all the work I have been doing to it and the 2022 sticker is setting on the kitchen counter.

• 1 month later...