Starter questions

juanmc87

I'm needing to rebuild my starter, which is an Autolite MCH6103. That's at least what's on the placard, but it's only dangling on by 1 rivet so who knows if that was thrown on after a previous rebuild. 

My question is, are the starters interchangeable which these engines? Would I be okay using an MCH 6101, MAW4032, MAW4052,  or even a newer Wilson? I just can't seem to find much literature on these to look at specs and compatibility. 

Thanks in advance!

20220803_105637.jpg

20220803_105626.jpg

20220803_105603.jpg

Brushes and bushings are still availble if the starter just needs that.

I have also used and use different starters from the same era. It depends if you want to continue with your foot starter on your truck or go to a solenoid and srater button.

I have even taken the nose of the original and placed it on a new body.

You might want to post your truck questions in the truck section of the forum.

Edited by 1949 Wraith

• 2 weeks later...

My 37 Plymouth stopped working (Starter) I pulled the starter and disassembled it minus the magnets. I cleaned it and replaced the brushes, mine were badly worn. I had to turn the commutator as mine was pitted. Fortunately, I was given a small lathe and was able to turn the Com myself. I reinstalled the starter and it works fine. Sometimes the commutator just needs cleaning and turning is not necessary. You have to do some soldering of the brush wires but that is a job you can easily do.

I've got a bunch of posts, with helpful links, on my adventures in starter rebuilding. If you've got the time and inclination, it's worth doing...they're dead simple devices, over-engineered, and I'd imagine it'd take a lot of abuse before one can be completely destroyed. 

A Hollander book from around the year of your truck's manufacture is indispensable for finding out what parts cross reference.

• Thanks 1