R & R speedometer 1945 WC 1/2 ton

My 1945 WC's speedometer needs work.  How must I position myself in the cab/floor to gain access to the mounting screws, etc. to remove the speedo?  The truck is fully assembled and driveable, so I will need to work around the pedals and everything else.  I am much older now than when I assembled this truck, so I need to know what must be done for access, before I start.  Thanks much for any assistance!  (By the way, I have a WC series shop manual, I don't find any info on this procedure.)

I'm 66 and just finished doing a bunch of stuff under my 39 truck dash. I learned quickly to take a couple aspirin before starting each session under there. Lols!

If you lay on your back with legs hanging out drivers side it's doable. It took some patience to not get frustrated. The trick for me was getting good light under there and then work methodically with 1/4 inch drive ratchet set being careful not to disturb wiring to much. If I remember correctly, after unscrewing the speedometer cable, and pulling out the dash light, there's only a couple nuts requiring a 3/8 socket to remove the assembly.

Other option is get some young guy to do it for you. Good luck with that!

Personally I lay against the wheel and do it by feel. There's only 2 nuts and the cable. Oh and pull the light socket. They run diagonal I think about 5 and 10 o'clock. 

Good evening all:  Continuing my topic, I tried for a little while this afternoon,  disconnected battery, removed speedo cable, also bulb.  I could feel the nuts but did not have the right tools to turn them.  I have a set of ignition wrenches somewhere, they may be what I need (or a nut driver).  I did not go any further since it was about 90 degrees F.  I think I may start my next session by removing all the junk (I carry lots of stuff around in the cab) from the floor and seat, and removing the seat itself.  Then with a good light, and cooler temps, I may make some progress.

Some layers of thick cardboard over the seat base make it a lot more comfortable, plus you can slide under the dash and back out.  Nut drivers might not reach the nut because they are shallow and access to the nut isn't always straight on.  That's why the earlier suggestion was deep socket and flex joint, or even the spring flex connector.

I was working under the dash on the gauges today in my 47 WC. Pulled the bottom seat cushion and just enough room to get my head by the gas pedal and 4 speed with my backside outside the cab worked to give me access to the fuel gauge. Did have to make sure I had my tools placed where I could grab them and work around the pedals. Not bad but I am wide in the shoulders, so I expected worse.

• 3 weeks later...

More from original poster......  Rainy today, so maybe I will work on Dodge which is in garage.  Regarding the speedometer itself, (assuming I remove it ok), how can I lube it to stop the loud chattering/squealing above 20 MPH?  I need the odometer feature to estimate fuel consumption, since my fuel gauge is not working.  I am afraid if I keep driving it as it is, I will destroy the gears inside the speedometer!  Also, I need to re-attach the speedometer's pointer/needle and the supporting clear disk.  Super Glue?  One of the JB Weld products??  Thanks for any suggestions while folks have speedometers on their minds!

Here is a thread on this site that should help with the speedo chatter. Should be a wick to oil on the speedo according to this thread though I have yet to pull mine to oil it. If you do pull the bottom cushion to help with access under the dash then it is easy to check the fuel gauge sending unit which is directly under the drivers seat where you will see a metal plug that pulls up with a screwdriver to reveal the fuel sending unit. when I pulled mine the cork was gone.

• Like 1