1950 dodge coronet thermostat

martin53

Looking to see what options there are for a thermostat on a 1950 dodge flathead 6. Are there any other models that will interchange or will I need the exact part. My car keeps overheating. So far I've just replaced the radiator and figure I'd do the thermostat next. Mine was blown. 

20220802_084944.jpg

Funny thing I saw a add on FBmarketplace yesterday for NOS T-stats for old Mopars.

A guy had a case of 45 T-stats asking $8 each + shipping.

Looking today I do not see the add again.

As far as I know a modern T-stat works just fine in these engines.

You need the correct diameter of the flange that sits in the recessed area like the original.  The correct part # would give you that.

Then the gasket etc... Modern T-stat installs exactly like the original.

They do not look the same at all ..... IMHO I think the original cleaned up makes a nice paper weight for the desk. Not sure I would trust a 70 year old NOS T-stat.

They do function the same way, it is the hot coolant that causes the T-stat to open & close as needed.

While I'm only yard driving my 1949 with a 1950 engine, I was working on overheating issues. I ran it with no thermostat til I was comfortable I fixed the problem.

I went to the local parts store & bought a new T-stat for it & installed it & seems to be working just fine.

Would be interesting to hear how your engine overheats.  .... Under what conditions?

When I first started my truck that sat for 20 years, it quickly overheated because of poor coolant circulation ..... The water distribution tube was clogged.

These engines are known to have leftover casting sand in them.  It all settles at the lowest point of the block.

There is a petcock near the oil fill tube on the block to drain the water out of the engine .... If you open it does the water drain? This is where all the sand settles & clogs the drain hole.

If it drains then this is not your issue.

Checking the water distribution tube is more tricky. You need to pull the radiator, water pump. Then whatever it takes to run a piece of flat bar or re-bar through the grill into the distribution tube.

Where I live we have really hard water, my tube was completely clogged with mineral deposits.

My point is, make a gasket from a cereal box & put it back together with no T-stat .... see if your problem is solved. If not you will be taking it back apart anyways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martin53 said:

Looking to see what options there are for a thermostat on a 1950 dodge flathead 6. Are there any other models that will interchange or will I need the exact part. My car keeps overheating. So far I've just replaced the radiator and figure I'd do the thermostat next. Mine was blown. 

here's one on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183154674098 $23.40

s-l500.jpg.b9c713770f8270c5513dc9af0e835fb8.jpg

I had a lot of trouble getting the right thermostat for my 48 DeSoto.  I ordered one from Rock Auto.  It didn't fit.  I ordered one from O'Reillys.  It didn't fit.  I ordered one from Ebay that was NOS stock.  It didn't fit.  Finally, I gave up and ordered one from Andy Bernbaum because I know he stands behind his parts.  It fit.  By the way, the thermostat shown above by SteveR is MoPar Direct.  MoPar Direct is Andy Bernbaum's name on Ebay.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

2 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

MoPar Direct is Andy Bernbaum's name on Ebay.

I didn't know that Thanks.

I have had problems with Andy Bernbaum lately. They are slow to answer e-mails if at all. An order of mine never appeared and they waited 3 months before they did anything about it. Then their shipping to England is a flat rate $65. Even if its a small part like the Throughout bearing spring ($4.50) it will cost me $65 shipping.