Summer Heat

Kilgore47

We have had hundred degree plus days for over a month now.  Electric and water bills are up there.  Still cheaper than a bar tab.  In the northern areas people store their cars in the winter.  Too cold (and salt).  Here in east Texas I don't drive my P15 in the summer - too hot.  At 6 pm it's still a hundred degrees or more.  A small chance for rain this week and that could bring the temp down to 99.  In the evenings when I water there is a hummingbird that flies into the mist to get a drink.  Tried to get a picture but the bird is too small and it doesn't show up in the picture.  Only a month or so to go and then it should start cooling down. 

Hot.png

you got me beat on temperature as higher but with the lower humidity you at least have room in the atmosphere to evaporate sweat off your body....not quite what we  have here in middle Georgia (currently 81%) ....I piddled a bit in the high bay of the barn running a power drop to the lift for the runway lights, hung a few plaque of vintage cars and modified a couple shop light over the benches for good LED working light and stayed soaking wet with sweat for over 12 hours while out there playing around.  I have plenty of block sanding sitting in the wings for prep and top coat but am not fond of dripping sweat on a panel while working so decided to clean and organize shop in our current heat wave.  It is not fun even taking a convertible or bike out until after sundown

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

65 days straight of 100+ heat here, but as I tell my daughter in NC, it's a dry heat lol.  I visited her in April and when I walked out the door to leave for Texas I felt like I was breathing in a warm fog.  Not a fan of humidity.  Also not a fan of shoveling snow, which was one of my chores as a kid.  Hence my location today.

• Like 1

Yuck!! 

Interesting thought though... 6 months from now on a typical day in northern Wisconsin that needle could be at that same angle, but at 180° from it's current position. And it'll be too cold to be out tinkering in my unheated garage. We all suffer with weather in different ways. 

• Like 1

Ha!  Didn't get over 65 here yesterday.  Won't get over that again today.  Won't get over 80 the rest of the week.  But - it did reach 90 Monday for the first time this year, for maybe five or ten minutes.  We missed a week of mid to upper 80's with high humidity.  Not as humid here as one would think, usually in the 30-50% range, a week or two of being miserable in late July, early August.  Drove through all that 100+ heat in NM, TX, OK, and AR last week.  90's everywhere else.  Not so bad in "dry" NM and TX, (my Dad was complaining about how humid it was in NM - I scoffed - it was no more than 20% due to "monsoon season") started moistening up in OK...ugh! 

seems like our seasons are a bit out of whack....spring and autumn are always so short it is like they were never with us....still piddling with getting organized for what I hope will be a good autumn so I can get back to work on some involved projects.   I am sure there are many here doing similar, staging things for later.

I am staging to close in my carport this fall and make a proper garage out of it so next summer I don't practically croak working in the garage.

Getting old sux, yesterday we had a big battery change out happening, used to do this ind of thing alone.  Had to get two pups from the Grapevine office out here to help the old man, lol.  Picked up one battery (of 36), about 75lbs, and almost dropped it as I could not keep it from sliding out my hands.  I passed on trying that again.  I about passed out strapping the batteries to a pallet in the heat.  I really need to lose more weight, I don't need an extra 60lbs hanging around for a free ride.

if you a tad overweight and or kinda out of shape due to less strenuous regimen of work in your current routine...yeah, suggest you take it easy and work back into it slowly.   Getting older don't help you much either.  Like you I also plan to enclose another area of my building here for additional covered work/storage.  This has been a hot and humid summer so far and I have cut back to just one pot of coffee as I do not stay as well hydrated drinking as much coffee as I did...boosted the water intake and rarely will do a soft drink...also not the best for you.  Sometimes old habits are hard to modify.

• 5 weeks later...

That was my back porch today at 2:30.

image.jpg.5bbb4bcbee27d74788140c68a61ce8ab.jpg

That was my back porch today at 2:30.

This is at the welding shed, same time.

E657437E-2EEA-40B2-89E8-50BBEB430354.jpeg.f9d4f506ab5ee398b1bd94be82caed39.jpeg

Outdoor aquariums holding about 88, Because the water circulates to the indoor aquarium which is in the air conditioned house.

70BB8031-EA71-4EE5-9E51-6283CC5E907C.jpeg.051af81ef1330db36499ada1cbc8f8f2.jpeg

Down here on the Shakey Isles we don't get that sort of heat. Largely a temperate climate. Although some parts of the country get their share of snow or drought at different times of the year. Where I am, some 10 miles as the crow flies from the coast, 900 feet above sea level and on the northern slopes of an 8760 ' mountain, we can get rain. Some 3 metres or 120 inches per annum. All drains away from me though. I need it to make the grass grow. That's what feeds my business. Turning grass into milk, into money. Climate is changing though. Not as seasonal as in my young days. Winters are getting warmer, wetter. Cold spells in the usual growing seasons. More extremes. I see that with you guys too. If I ever see numbers on the thermometer like you folks are posting then the grass won't be feeding anything...