Past conversation about R&P steering setup for straight axle trucks/older cars

In the forum in the past some new poster was inquiring about this setup being done.

He had one issue in that several of member could not convince him that he would need a steering shaft that could allow for the axle movements. IE a shaft that allowed slip in and out to allow the axle to move up and down and some fore/aft also.

Thought I would post a ad from a company that sells R&P conversions for early Fords and Chevys with straight axles. 

They do make any for Mopars. 

But some engineering type forum member could certainly design such and maybe even sell some after proof of concept doing real life use!??  I did notice that both of the POL kits available used some redesigned steer arm at the brakes.

If nothing else use it as informational.

https://www.performanceonline.com/1948-64-FORD-F-1-F-100-TRUCK-Rack-and-Pinion/

DJ

I put a GM rack on my 51 Dodge pu sraight axle 20 years ago you have to run a slip joint on the steering shaft or you would get the column in your chest my rack is mounted to the axle so it moves up and down so something has to absorb the movement, mine has worked fine all these years i just add a little WD40 on the slip joint .

• Like 2