steering pars remanufactured

Go Fleiter

Hallo all,

in the POC froum, a man presented his steering parts firm in  Argentina:

https://www.plymouthowners.club/talk/index.php/topic,4158.0.html

direct link:

https://www.chsauto.com/eng/

If considering:

Argentina is hitted (as every couple of years) with heavy inflation, so maybe prices in $ may be interesting too!

• Like 1

If you do some research you'll see the same Gemmer made steering gear boxes were used also in old Ford cars. The Ford aftermarket is huge compared to old Mopars. I studied the Ford parts and found precisely the same parts were used in my old Plymouth gear box. I bought them out of California. Warning, stay away from "The Early Ford Store". The owner with a great reputation passed away and incompetence has taken over. I cannot seem to recall exactly which business I bought the parts from. 

Initially I did reach out to Argentina. They did respond with good service. However I did source good quality replacement parts in the USA. All parts but 1 were an exact fit. The cover gasket needed a little cut with a hole punch. 1 bolt hole elongated slightly to fit. No leaks and like new steering again!

Edited by keithb7

Keith.........can you advise what Ford parts were the same as those used in your Plymouth steering box?.........was it seals?, bearings?, what about the worm and/or rollers?........thanks, andyd 

Andy I was successfully able to match bearings, seal, shims gaskets. I did not need to replace worm gear or sector shaft roller so I did not attempt to match them or other parts up. I am fairly certain you could match up any parts needed. 

The name popped into my head this morning. C&G Ford Parts. Seen here. 
https://cgfordparts.com/steering/sector-related.html
I see that their web site has been redesigned. Not for the better it seems. Its harder to match up parts as it is now. 

@andydwhat year and model  is your car?  Having my 1940 Motors Manual was key. It listed all the years and various car manufacturers that utilized the same Gemmer steering gear box.  I can try and look this up for you if you supply your info.

I might have cross referenced a bit in my Hollander exchange as well.

Let me know. I’ll try and help you out. I still have these references. Priceless info for us folks.  I also have a spare worm gear and sector shaft set for a ‘37 if you need it. 

Edited by keithb7

Keith, thanks for the reply......at present I do not personally need the info however when I had the 41 Plymouth Coupe I was contemplating rebuilding the steering box, however sold the car(like a dope)..........the 40 Dodge sedan I have is hotrodded & uses a rack & pinion ........over the years I've worked on a couple of Oz mopars and the steering box has always seemed to be a problem, whilst I have been able to source bearings & seals and make gaskets the RHD worm & rollers have been the regular issue............knowing that Fords used similar parts may open up the replacement options also.........thanks for the info...............BTW I have both a 1953 and 1957 Motors Auto Repair Manuals but have never noticed the cross referencing that your 1940 edition has........in what section did this cross reference appear?...........thanks, andyd  

I went to the site and the first thing I saw was a Model A steering box.

The last time I had one of those apart I was salvaging the steering shaft to weld on to a Gemmer box from an F100 (1952-56).

That's the old time hot setup for a Model A (which are pretty awful).

So I was pretty happy to hear that Plymouth used Gemmer steering gears.

Right now the seal is leaking on my 49 which you can fix in the car. To do it you remove the sector then just tip out the seal.

While you have the sector out you can check the preload on the steering shaft bearings. Being that they are tapered rollers you can tighten them up if need be. Gemmer boxes use paper gaskets which come in various thicknesses. To start you can peal off a thin one and see what reaction you get.  By tightening the preload on the tapered roller bearings you will take out a lot of slop in the steering, but if you get it too tight the will be hard to steer at slow speed (parking) and it won't "spring back" after completing a turn. Next you can adjust the sector engagement with the worm on the steering shaft. Getting this right is a little tricky. If you screw the adjuster in it tightens the engagement. Too much and the sector "drags" at the ends of its travel too little and its sloppy when going straight. The best way to deal with it is not to move the adjustment until you need to. That is, when you remove the sector, take it out with the cap straight out of the box. Then you can slide the cap off the sector. Once you have a new gasket and the cap torqued down you might try turning the adjustment One notch tighter. Turn the steering wheel both directions and see what you think. If it gets tight at the ends, that may be too much. If when driving it is sloppy loose on center, it may be time for new gears. Whatever you do adjust the tapered roller bearings before you adjust the sector. I would never touch that adjustment without checking the bearings first.

• Like 2