1952 Coronet sending unit install

cef2lion

I have it figured out. Old sender was notched and so is new tank. New sender doesn’t have that notch but used the old sender as reference. Float points to passenger side of the tank. 

Edited by cef2lion
Typo
  • Like 1

in my 39 desoto there aree five mounting holes that hold the unit to the top of the tank.  These 5 holes also determine which way the arm swings to indicate full or empty and also a gasket so everything has to align for my tank.

Might be the same with your tank.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

4 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

in my 39 desoto there aree five mounting holes that hold the unit to the top of the tank.  These 5 holes also determine which way the arm swings to indicate full or empty and also a gasket so everything has to align for my tank.

Might be the same with your tank.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

The pre-WW2 cars used the SAE five hole mounting standard which is still in use today for some boats, RVs, custom gas tanks, etc. But by the 1950s they changed the mounting to a using a lock ring around the top of the plate on the top of the sender. Apparently that plate has, or should have, an alignment notch on it.