FEL-PRO head gasket

1949 Wraith

My '38 Dodge sedan started blowing some white smoke the yesterday. Cylinders 5 and 6 showing wet plugs.

Checking on Rock Auto it seems not much is availble for head gaskets right now. One that is are the FEL-PRO, but these are copper faced with with a sandwich of fiber gasket material inside.

Anyone used these and what were your opinions?

Thanks

I have used fel-pro head gaskets. Several times. In my 53 Chrysler, 38 Plymouth and 38 Chrysler. I have no complaints. They work well. I do like to coat them with Permatex copper spray. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 5.20.41 PM.png

Edited by keithb7

Thanks Keith I will order some. I use the copper spray as well.

Edited by 1949 Wraith

The original MoPAr head gaskets were copper on both sides and also had a middle layer of asbestos.  I have several of my 39 Desoto. When i go to Hershey i look for the 25 inch block and have found NOS for around $10.

Rich Hartung

I ordered a couple of head gasket sets from Rock Auto at $45 each which was alot cheaper than the $78 that a regional guy wanted just fot the head gasket.

12 hours ago, Sniper said:

According to the Montana Mopar boys you only use copper spray on the copper side

https://www.moparmontana.com/tech-faq.html

Scroll down to the head torque section

That was also the official Felpro recommendation at one time.   I found it at one time online, but now all the official Felpro videos show only the newer style gaskets, for modern engines, and nothing about ours.  

• 3 months later...

I’m getting ready to install the head on my truck. I checked the gasket I bought and it’s a felpro with copper on one side. My other gasket was for the 25” block and was the old style 2 sided copper. I checked the link above and they say the copper side goes against the block and to apply copper coat only on the copper. Is that current practice?  Do I spray the block as well or just the gasket. 

They also mentioned using washers which neither of my engines used except at the 2 studs. Should I be adding washers and would that help with torquing.

Block and gasket get sprayed, copper side only.  Do not use anything on the other side of that Fel Pro gasket.

Washers, obviously the factory didn't use them, I do because I think it does a better job than wihtout, your choice there.

So the copper goes down on the block. Just checked my head bolts and they have a built in shoulder so no washer required 

As a 45 year Nissan Technician I replaced a lot of head gaskets over the years. On the head gasket package it stated "do not use all sorts of liquid packing on gasket"!!! I sprayed both sides of the gasket with copper coat, never an issue. They were cast iron blocks with aluminum heads for the most part.