Remanufactured Engine

Happy 46R

This is probably  more for the Canadian followers but today I picked up an engine to use as a spare if needed. This engine will need some grooming I am sure and would only be used as a back up if needed. It is a 25" block and according to the seller came from a 1947 Plymouth convertible that is currently being rodded! The interesting information for this engine is the serial # begins with a T112- which is totally different than my 46 Dodge which begins with the qualifier D and then the model # 25C. Does anyone have any literature on engine numbers for 40's Plymouths that indicate a letter prefix of T? Also of interest was a tin medallion that was riveted to the side of the block. It shows a rebuild in Winnipeg Manitoba with a .30 overbore on the cylinders but nothing to the mains or rods. Has anyone got any information on these tags or who to contact to chase the numbers on it. I am just curious about the history of my back up engine before exploring all of its parts and pieces.

Thanks   Dave

IMG_2832.jpg

Thanks Sniper quick response. I measured the block and it is 25" so more detective work required. I am guessing that would make it the 218 ci? Would you think the US numbering system and the Canadian system would be that different? Dave

Edited by Happy 46R

If you look at the link they do spell out Canadian version vice US, but I don't know that they get them all either.  Now if it was a T122 vice a T112 then it would be a 25" engine out of a Dodge truck.  Might double check that number

Edited by Sniper
correction
  • Like 1

This from a Canadian parts book so 25” for sure. Definitely a former truck engine. Block was obviously bored. My guess is the crankshaft was terrible so a new one was used, hence the standard mains and rods. 

Remanufactured Chrysler Method tells you it was done by a rebuilder that was Chrysler approved. 

A436B917-3E89-4207-BB20-01E0B0D7E51A.jpeg.83bb04051af91fd4a9d756056058bbbb.jpeg

I had a similar tag on the engine in a ‘38 Chrysler I have since sold and for which I now have seller’s remorse. It was also a former truck engine but a T311 so originally a 228 CID. 

52287594-05FE-4390-B333-48BDBC6080DB.jpeg.b300d1e6dd14b9003f49831f544584dd.jpeg

9C3D55AF-4FCB-40C9-BE7D-F118D5F59481.webp.fdc06d1368ffd7770bb76a238ad342b5.webp

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

Unfortunately my acquisition isn't quite as nice as yours but I will document it's dissection and rebuild carefully. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Dave 

IMG_2829.jpg

• Like 1

As a spare engine, you’ve got a lot to work with there. Plenty of good spare parts. Carb, manifolds, generator, distributor, starter and lots more. I’ve salvaged many a part from my spare engine. Spare parts  really save you a lot of time and money.  Just recently I needed a cylinder head. I had one. Imagine the potential freight costs on that hunk of metal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy 46R said:

Unfortunately my acquisition isn't quite as nice as yours but I will document it's dissection and rebuild carefully. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Dave 

Mine didn’t look as nice when I got it but it was a low miler with 2-3,000 miles. A good clean and silver paint works wonders. It ran beautifully!

Good luck with your project!

• Like 1

Costs for parts have become ridiculous. When I did the rebuild of the '47 about 20 years ago that engine got a NOS cam, NOS Head, and NOS crankshaft.

The cam and the head were each about $100 delivered.  The crankshaft from NJ to CA all in was $225.

I hate to think what people would want for those today.

James

On 7/26/2022 at 10:47 PM, Happy 46R said:

Dave 

IMG_2829.jpg

Looks like a runner! 

@Happy 46Rafter a decent, thorough engine rebuild up here in Canada, I ended up at about $5,300 Canadian. Doing all the labor myself except machining. 

All New pistons & rings

new cam & all tappets 

new timing gears and chain

All new valves

new mains, rod and cam bearings

piston pins & bushings, c-clips

all new seals and gaskets

Rebuilt generator 

bored cylinders over 

crank mains .010 under. Rods .001 polish

valve grind & lap

Head milled & new head bolts

block & head hot tanked & crack checked

Con-rods tested & re-used

new oil pump

speedi-sleeve front crank seal area

Parts were ordered and in-hand by March 2020 I think it was. (the pandemic period is a bit blurred). I’m sure parts prices are up considerably since then.  The above price included about $400 in extortion fees. (the border crossing mafia collectors)