1950 Dodge Kingsway - seeking advice on chrome trims and body

Kendenup
Go to solution Solved by Cannuck,

First post, so many thanks for allowing me join this wonderful resource. 

Just about to buy a 1950 Dodge Kingsway in Australia, for which I only have limited photos.

Car in is lovely condition, and the old guy who has owned it for the past 20 or so years has had it sitting in dry storage as part of a collection.

One thing that I'm unclear on is the absence of chrome trims or moulding on the body and the absence of the small vertical chrome sections on the bumper.

I've found photos of another example in Australia that has the exact same absence of chrome trims and front chrome sections on the bumper, so have attached it and a direct comparison 1950 Kingsway also in Australia to show the differences.

Is it possible that the trims were deleted at purchase, were they an option, or is it more likely that they've been removed over the years and never re installed ?

Many thanks  

1950-dodge-kingsway - alternate 2.jpg

1950-dodge-kingsway - alternate.jpg

1950-dodge-kingsway-sedan 2.jpg

1950-dodge-kingsway-sedan.jpg

Update I guess, I’ve now bought the car after agreeing a price with the current owners, should pick it up this week.

So now I’m on the lookout for chrome trim for front and rear fenders plus the stone guard to suit the rear fenders.

Also need to buy a workshop manual, and start collecting service parts (oil filter, plugs etc), so if anyone has any advice as to good sources for either - that would be awesome.

Very very excited to get this lovely old girl in the garage and start our love affair with our first 1950’s car.

thanks guys 

Nice vehicle.

While I don;t really know much about export cars, it is my understanding that a lot of "Dodges" that were exported were Plymouths with Dodge trim to some extent.  How that will affect your quest for the side trim and stone guards I don't know, but you might want to make sure that is not going to be an issue.

Kendenup........Welcome aboard........those things that are missing on your bumpers are called "overiders" and would have normally been a standard inclusion on the car........your car should have model or serial number plate on the firewall starting with D36, this should also be on the engine block on the Oz passenger side, above the generator stamped into a machined boss with the engine number starting with this D36............ Your car should also have the 25" engine which is the DeSoto/Chrysler "long" block engine and should be 218.06 cubes.............it was known here in OX as a "Kew" engine a term which means NOTHING to the Yanks on this forum but is an Oz only term...........as for a workshop manual.the factory manual was published by Scientific Publications and covered the 1946-1953 Plymouth/Dodge & DeSoto Brands and came out in 1954...........they are available............I'm in Grafton NSW and have been playing with Oz mopars since 1969........I'm retired so am available anytime......give me a call if you like, on 02 6642 5963............regards, Andy Douglas

And I just did a search on Oz ebay under "1946-1953 Chrysler Workshop Manual" and a few are listed ranging from $49.00 to over $115.00 Australian.......note that the Oz manual is fairly basic but does cover all the mechanical, electrical and basic body repairs for the Oz, TJ Richards bodied/Chrysler Australia assembled cars.........depending on how much you want to get into mopars then the USA sourced manuals provide a MUCH more detailed level of info, together with things like a Parts Manual whilst specifically covering the US cars does include pics and detailed drawings of various parts that you may only know by name but not sight..........

..............BUT the other issue is that the Oz mopars were  generally Plymouth based cars with Dodge or DeSoto badging, & grille variations ...........consequently the US Parts manuals and even the US workshop manuals show different features that don't directly apply to the Oz assembled cars.........lol..........I would strongly suggest joining a local Chrysler Club..........whilst I am a hotrodder I have been involved with the NSW Based Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia since the early 1970's & would recommend joining them or a similar club.....but as I mentioned..give me a call........I talk better than I type............andyd  

2 hours ago, andyd said:

And I just did a search on Oz ebay under "1946-1953 Chrysler Workshop Manual" and a few are listed ranging from $49.00 to over $115.00 Australian.......note that the Oz manual is fairly basic but does cover all the mechanical, electrical and basic body repairs for the Oz, TJ Richards bodied/Chrysler Australia assembled cars.........depending on how much you want to get into mopars then the USA sourced manuals provide a MUCH more detailed level of info, together with things like a Parts Manual whilst specifically covering the US cars does include pics and detailed drawings of various parts that you may only know by name but not sight..........

..............BUT the other issue is that the Oz mopars were  generally Plymouth based cars with Dodge or DeSoto badging, & grille variations ...........consequently the US Parts manuals and even the US workshop manuals show different features that don't directly apply to the Oz assembled cars.........lol..........I would strongly suggest joining a local Chrysler Club..........whilst I am a hotrodder I have been involved with the NSW Based Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia since the early 1970's & would recommend joining them or a similar club.....but as I mentioned..give me a call........I talk better than I type............andyd  

Hey Andy, I only just saw your replies, thanks for taking the time to respond.

The car indeed does have the D36 serial number on the body and the engine. 

Body number confirms that its a 1950 model in terms of sequence.

Looks like I've already found a great pair of rear fender trims, and am talking to someone in the UK about the others. 

Still no luck thus far on the stone guards.

First job is to give the car a thorough once over, she's been sitting largely unused for the last 17 years, and today I discovered there was no oil filter in the cannister, and lets not even discuss the viscosity of the material at the bottom of the oil filter cannister !!

So having discovered this little gem, everything consumable is being flushed, replaced, updated and inspected. 

Like you I'm retired, so what the heck...... i have time ;)

Have you tried Jim Robinson in Victoria, 03 5345 4094, also Les Sonter in Sydney, 02 9639 8703..........both may have some bits......as far as getting things overseas....make sure that you know exactly what the parts you want were called, listed as or to suit on the US or Canadian cars as while you may think what you want is straightforward it may not have been used on that brand there as here in Oz lots of things were substituted which may look identical but ain't.....lol.............re the canister filter......does it have any markings, name,numbers,  etc as there were lots of these around but not all were exactly the same.......the best improvements I did to the 41 Plymouth Coupe I had were the Beehive oil Filter and the Langdons Engineering HEI distributor........andyd  

Good advice Andy, thanks.

I guess if the trim is right length, width and height then it will work just fine, but it certainly means I have to lots of checking before I part with any $’s.

in terms of the canister filter, I’m taking it to a filter place tomorrow, so am hoping they may have something that will work, system often employed by farmers for old machinery, and the Dodge is not too far removed from a tractor ;) 

I'm assuming the car is an Oz build........what are the various numbers on the engine, firewall and anywhere else such as the front door pillars...got any extra pics?......andyd 

• Solution

If I was you I would drop the oil pan give it a good cleaning along with the pickup pan.

I would also not use a detergent oil unless your engine has been rebuilt .My 48 is a Canadian dodge with the 25 inch 218 

i purchased a Plymouth manual  to make it easier while doing repairs . 

Good luck love your car.