Oil Pump Suggestions

Marcel Backs

My replacement oil pump which was purchased from a popular supplier seized up due to bad tolerancing at manufacture.  What is the best option available to obtain a replacement avoiding the AB variety with a built in failure system? I am hoping to find a NOS but would be happy with a well made American built assembly. Any suggestions from the engine rebuilding crew would be of maximum appreciation. Best to Y'all M

10 minutes ago, Marcel Backs said:

My replacement oil pump which was purchased from a popular supplier seized up due to bad tolerancing at manufacture.  What is the best option available to obtain a replacement avoiding the AB variety with a built in failure system? I am hoping to find a NOS but would be happy with a well made American built assembly. Any suggestions from the engine rebuilding crew would be of maximum appreciation. Best to Y'all M

It's not the AB ones only..it's the Melling M37 brand.  Think Sniper has referred to the Freewheeling Tony Smith post on Facebook enough how to take apart and prep new oil pumps to help prevent that problem.

• Thanks 1

Yes I seen that on Sniper's link. I find it kinda weird that they sell a part that needs prepping before priming and installation. But WTH the whole damn world is getting weird and moving forward like a slow motion train wreck.

Edited by Marcel Backs
  • Like 2

Oil pump prep is not an issue confined to our engines, seen this for the Chrysler V8's as well.  Probably GM and Ford as well but I don't swim in those pools.  Nor is it confined to today's parts.  The Freewheeling Tony Smith mentions in passing that even the OEM pumps do not meet Chrysler's spec for warpage on the cover.

If you look at the number's Bryan is finding on parts as he's rebuilding his engine a lot of the factory stuff was "good enough" but not necessarily to spec. 

Those engines work, for certain values of work, but they aren't perfect and some times perfect is the enemy of good enough.  It's all in what drives you. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...