Driver's side lock cylinder stuck

coffeepathsofglory

Hi there, I have a new-to-me 1950 Plymouth Business Coupe that has sat for quite a few years. It came with four keys. One key works in the ignition and passenger side door, another works for the trunk. The driver's side door has a lock cylinder but none of the keys will unlock it. I've soaked the cylinder in PB Blaster for a few days but to no avail.

I am also confused since I've read that some of these Plymouths didn't come with a driver's side door lock, only passenger side. Do y'all think I just have the wrong key or is this somehow by design? I'd imagine if it didn't have a driver's side door lock, it would just have a blank insert and not what appears to be a real lock cylinder. 

Welcome to the forum.  There is a ton of knowledge here and it's all shared freely among the members.

Your '50 Plymouth came with lock cylinders on both doors.  Someone may have replaced the original lock cylinder due to wear or collision which explains why none of your keys work for it.  A local locksmith can re-key the driver's door cylinder to match the one that works for the other side.  It's not a big job once you remove the cylinder from the door.

After using plenty lube run the key all the way in and out of the cylinder to exercise the pins, after a while you should be able to feel the pins moving if this is the case and the key still does't work, remove the cylinder for a rekey as mentioned.

Success. I got the driver's side lock cylinder rekeyed, reinstalled, and it's all working great. The driver's side appears to only lock with the key from the outside, and the passenger side locks using the door handle from the inside. Both unlock from outside using the key. My repop owner's manual describes this as a "new" feature: never lock your keys in your car :)

On my 49 Coupe there was only one key and it only fit the replacement ignition.

I got some genuine “DPCD” key blanks which fit the doors & trunk but not the ignition.

It seems the only replacements fit the switch but not the right key type.

I removed the door lock cylinder a carefully filed a key to fit the tumblers.

Later I found the proper way to do it. There are 5 tumblers (pins if you will) and 5 depths for each tumbler.

Locksmiths of the day had sets of keys cut in the proper spot with the proper depth and labeled 1 through 5.

They would take the lock apart and use the numbered keys to determine the combination.

Then with their key cutter they could make the cuts by switching the numbered keys.

Once the first key was made they could quickly copy as many as the customer wanted.

In order for me to get the door and ignition keys the same I have to find a lock cylinder that fits the 49 key blank then change the tumblers.

I know not many folks would bother but I will get it right one day. If you are in this predicament of needing an ignition cylinder just know the “Pentastar” keys are different than the “DPCD” keys.

7 hours ago, Loren said:

On my 49 Coupe there was only one key and it only fit the replacement ignition.

I got some genuine “DPCD” key blanks which fit the doors & trunk but not the ignition.

It seems the only replacements fit the switch but not the right key type.

I removed the door lock cylinder a carefully filed a key to fit the tumblers.

Later I found the proper way to do it. There are 5 tumblers (pins if you will) and 5 depths for each tumbler.

Locksmiths of the day had sets of keys cut in the proper spot with the proper depth and labeled 1 through 5.

They would take the lock apart and use the numbered keys to determine the combination.

Then with their key cutter they could make the cuts by switching the numbered keys.

Once the first key was made they could quickly copy as many as the customer wanted.

In order for me to get the door and ignition keys the same I have to find a lock cylinder that fits the 49 key blank then change the tumblers.

I know not many folks would bother but I will get it right one day. If you are in this predicament of needing an ignition cylinder just know the “Pentastar” keys are different than the “DPCD” keys.

My Dad worked at various auto dealerships (CPDD, then Pontiac, Rambler, and finally Oldsmobile) for most of his adult life.  He became so accustomed to working with keys that he could just look at a key and "read" the code.  So he could actually just see someone holding their keys and could have gone over to the key machine and made a key.  This was, of course, in the era before double-sided keys.)

(I have also made keys in the way you described, by carefully working up to the correct depth for each tumbler.  But I don't think I can see well enough anymore now.)

I have no doubt your Dad could do this!

We used to say a car could drive in and you could tell what was wrong by the sounds it made.

Then we would put it into practice. It was amazing how close you could come!

Its all about how many cars of the same kind you’d see each day. Patterns become apparent.

Cars are a lot more reliable now days and the mechanics less so.

Because of this the mechanics rarely fix cars, they change oil & filters.

They know where the OBDll plug is and they let a lap top guess for them.

Soon you will ride in cars with no steering wheel or brake pedal.

Your car will not be a symbol of freedom, it will be just another appliance.

I for one appreciate the old time mechanics so much! A dying breed like shoemakers.

• Like 1

Loren when it all comes down .... Do not go to the light. ..... It is a trap.

If you see the light and step twords it, you are sucked into the trap. .... step away from the light.

I figure you can make a decision later.

And that is exactly all I have to say about that ....