Brake adjustment tool

Dansk

I don't have one of the tools shown in my shop manual for adjusting brake shoes to be concentric so I bought some 3/4" x 1/8" bar stock at the hardware store and made this up. It folds like a jack knife for storage. My dimensions are 6" for the uprights and 4.5" for the blade. Simple to make if you have a welder to tack it to the 3/4-16 nut.

mounted.jpg

open.jpg

folded.jpg

• Like 3

I just slot the lower adjusting bolts so I can adjust them with the drum on.  I adjust for a slight drag then back oof ust enough to the drag goes away, pull teh drum, tighten the lower bolts, but the drum back on, adjust the upper bolts and done.

8 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I just slot the lower adjusting bolts so I can adjust them with the drum on.  I adjust for a slight drag then back oof ust enough to the drag goes away, pull teh drum, tighten the lower bolts, but the drum back on, adjust the upper bolts and done.

That's what I did as well. Also for future reference, Andy B's has the replica brake tool for sale for $95.

Joe Lee

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, soth122003 said:

That's what I did as well. Also for future reference, Andy B's has the replica brake tool for sale for $95.

Joe Lee

Mine cost me $7

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dansk said:

Mine cost me $7

Mine and Snipers cost $0 (LOL). That reference was for the group that like owning these old cars but don't have the know how or the time to make the tool. Now with that being said, a lot of us in this group qualify for Geezer status and like these old girls; but time, health and heat conditions making working on these cars a miserable time for us. My work cycle use to be 2 hours work and 15-20 minutes break. Now 15-20 work with a 2 hour break. Getting old and in poor health sucks, but the dirt nap alternative is worse.

Joe Lee

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Well it did cost me 4 cutting discs on my Dremel tool.  A pair doubled up cut just the right sized slot for a screwdriver to fit nicely. 

Ahhh! now I understand your solution.(and Joe's) Good idea!

1 hour ago, soth122003 said:

Joe Lee

Here is the tool I made and posted in the forum 3+ years ago:

brake-tool-8.jpg.8bf4b982d88cf8b1c892b0a6d0bb7072.jpg

And the $95 version that was "invented" a year or so later:

Screen-Shot-2022-05-24-at-4.36.28-PM-300

I should have painted mine and made it purty........just sayin'.  ?

But I really like Dansk's jack-knife version the best!

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1