Compatible Clutch Sets? P15 218

Sam Buchanan

Am I safe to assume the new clutch set I received from AB is compatible with the old set from my P15? Both discs are the same diameter.

clutch-sets.jpg.040ba979081b3f90b69179392df307e9.jpg

Also, what is the best way to remove the old pilot bearing and install the new one without the factory tool?

P.S. Parts arrived in Large Flat Rate box, $19.95 commercial rate. I was charged $54 for shipping.........grrrrrrrrrr...........

Edited by Sam Buchanan

I fill the bore with grease, use a bolt the right diameter to just fit inside the pilot bushing and use a hammer to tap on the bolt head.  This forces the grease in and around the backside of the bushing and hydraulically pushes it out.  In a pinch, when I did not have the right sized bolt I used one of the plastic alignment tools instead and tapped on it.

Hey Sam,

That looks like same set I just installed on my car. Mine has a 230 installed instead of the 218, but the tranny was a 3 speed manual. worked like a champ. Now the car will darn near climb a tree. 

As far as the pilot bushing goes, you might try an inside puller with a slide hammer style. Others say a wood dowel rod with the pilot hole filled with grease and tap the rod into it and it will press the bushing out. As for mine I inspected the bushing and found no wear at all even mic'ed the inside diameter and it was the same as the new one, so I left it in.

Joe Lee

Edited by soth122003

I used a pilot bearing removal tool I purchased just for that job in 2006. It worked but was not easy. It was the first time I went to the effort of replacing a pilot bearing as in the past cars I had changed clutches on I did not bother.  Never had a problem then or really noticed a difference in operation either way. 

I had no success with the grease idea. I even cut a groove in a perfect sized bolt, to hold an o-ring. To seal in more grease when  I pounded it with a hammer. No go. I bought at $20 puller. It fit in there with the bell housing still in place. Easy peasy with the $20 tool. 

I haven’t seen any indication of issues with the current pilot hearing. I may just keep it and skip the hassle of changing it. But thank you for the suggestions! Got the flywheel back from the machine shop, getting close to reassembly.

• Like 1