New oil pump seized

Marcel Backs

I use this now days to be sure of good pre-lubing a new or sitting engine...

20200514_233120_compress5_nVOXP2kq7b.jpeg

• Like 3

Sometimes these north American companies farm things out to be cranked out by the east and then put a Made in Canada or USA logo on it in order to feed the ever greedier bottom line. Why pay a unionized worker here top dollar for quality when the CPC has billions of slaves making crap of poor quality for peanuts (have you seen the riot at Foxconn which makes your apple shizzle). Canada does this so well, that we are now dependant on those clowns and goods made by once trusted companies (eg. Melling in the US) have been reduced to discount store fare! We sold out!!! Shame on North America for letting this happen. Time to get the hell out of this bad actor country in the east and bring all of our manufacturing back home. The grizzly consequence is that china becomes the world's largest economy in the VERY near future. M

• Like 1

Your getting really close to what this forum is not about. It is what it is, you aren’t going to change it by ranting. No matter what font you use. Rick D.

Edited by 9 foot box
  • Like 1

I was going to put a new oil pump in my 48 DeSoto, but after looking at the prices, I had second thoughts.  The one I bought in the 80s was still good and still new, so I said why not use it?  AFter hearing your horror story, I think I'm glad I did.  After all, the oil pump is really the heart of the engine.  The heart pumps blood, while the oil pump pumps oil and turns the distributor shaft!  

• Thanks 1

I have only replaced one flathead oil pump with a new one once...just because years ago. (70's)

I have always taken them apart and measured the clearances/ checked for any scoring etc. on my flathead rebuilds...oil pressure always has been cold 45-50...hot high rpm 45...hot idle 30-40.

Engine rebuilds are complete with all measurements taken after machine shop work to double check and extreme cleanliness a must.

Modern engines always have done new pumps.

No new flathead pumps for me unless engine had a catastrofic bearing or piston failure.

Jmo.

• Like 3

Kinda disheartening though when a 250$ supposedly usa made part which is responsible for oiling your rolling assembly just about ruins an engine that cost me 4K or more to rebuild. I think a rant is in good order Rick. I don't think you would go silently if the shoe were on the other foot! Just sayin mate. M

r

1 hour ago, Marcel Backs said:

Kinda disheartening though when a 250$ supposedly usa made part which is responsible for oiling your rolling assembly just about ruins an engine that cost me 4K or more to rebuild. I think a rant is in good order Rick. I don't think you would go silently if the shoe were on the other foot! Just sayin mate. M

Ranting is ok but that was close to the line on politics which isn't 

• Like 1

I feel your pain.....this I just ran into....went to look at an item online....big bold letters on their site....STOP USING IMITATION PARTS...so you click on their listed product, read the specs.....IMPORTED item....but clearly we have US made that is equivalent if not superior.....it is all about the bottom dollar and max money in their pocket.  By the way, the US  made was about 1/2 their proprietary pricing....again, all about the dollar.