Synchros

Hi all!

I am almost ready to throw in the towel.  My 3 speed in my 1951 B3B has lost it’s 2nd gear synchro.  I have been double clutching it for over a year while I accumulated all the parts to rebuild the transmission.  As I was going through the parts, getting ready to do my build, I found the new synchro rings I got have 24 teeth and my truck is supposed to have 20 teeth on the rings (somewhere along the way they changed tooth count).  The rings I need are part number 1196890.  I cannot find these things anywhere!  Does anybody know of a good source for them, or an aftermarket cross reference number, or any other solutions to this issue?  Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Nick

I would look for a good used 3 speed in your area.

For some reason transmissions are one thing I have no trouble finding, I have 3 spares and know where there are 2 others.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I think I might try another route - does anyone have a parts diagram with numbers for a 1954 - up 3 speed truck transmission?  I can get the synchro assembly and 2nd gear for these, just need a main drive gear.  

Am I overthinking this and doing something wrong?  

Thank you,

Nick

25 minutes ago, jpellican said:

The synchronizer brass inner rings are hard if not impossible to find. Not sure what can be used as a replacement. 

That was my fear.  I can find the 24 tooth ones, but not the 20 tooth…..  I am thinking I might have to change the drive gear, synchro assembly, and second gear.  What a pain and $$$$$!  

Is anybody aware of other options besides changing whole transmissions?

Thanks!

I can maybe offer some help with this. I lost the synchro for second gear in my truck also last year. When I drained the oil in the trans, a piece of the synchro stop ring was in the bottom of the case. From talking to some people familiar with these transmissions, the synchro stop ring is the more common failure with these. The brass can wear out, but its less common. I tend to agree with this after taking two of these transmissions apart. Both transmissions had the same issue grinding into second, and both had broken stop rings. The brass components were still serviceable in both. I was able to replace the stop ring and my transmission shifts like new now. Below is a link to the post I had. The ring part number is 2464839 and is easily found online NOS. I think I paid under $20 for a NOS one on eBay. 

22 hours ago, 52b3b Joe said:

I can maybe offer some help with this. I lost the synchro for second gear in my truck also last year. When I drained the oil in the trans, a piece of the synchro stop ring was in the bottom of the case. From talking to some people familiar with these transmissions, the synchro stop ring is the more common failure with these. The brass can wear out, but its less common. I tend to agree with this after taking two of these transmissions apart. Both transmissions had the same issue grinding into second, and both had broken stop rings. The brass components were still serviceable in both. I was able to replace the stop ring and my transmission shifts like new now. Below is a link to the post I had. The ring part number is 2464839 and is easily found online NOS. I think I paid under $20 for a NOS one on eBay. 

Thank you!  I forgot I previously read that post.  I was too busy with worst case scenario, I completely forgot about it!  I am going to try to pull the top and have a look today, and fingers are crossed you are right.  It would make my life a lot simpler!

P.S. - I have a no pic or your truck saved on my phone from one of the first times I read that post, since it is what my truck is supposed to look like!

Is this what you are looking for?  I haven’t used the PM feature before, but if this is what you need, PM me and I’ll try to figure it out.68762831-6E93-4196-AA5B-BCB6B86D8507.jpeg.64a22425bbc5c15b5469b99a8e2960fb.jpeg

• Thanks 1