Got the motor apart

steveplym

Hey Guys. Got the original flathead engine apart on my '47.

Here's what I've got. This motor was rebuilt in the late 90's. Rolled a rod bearing. #2 to be exact on a long trip. Guy who rebuilt the motor would not warranty it, so pulled it and replaced it with another engine. Now I want to get this one fixed, since all the parts are brand new.

Anyway, I pulled the pan and checked the damage. Bearing on cap side is intact, it is in the inner bearing that disintegrated. Rest of bearings and journals look real good. This one does not look that bad, just is scratched up.

What next? I assume best to pull the crank and get it checked. Should I check the rod for damage? Anyway it could have bent the rod? Will clean up the pickup and tube on the oil pump. Any reason to replace it? Probably will be changing the oil every 500 miles or so to make sure all metal shavings are out.

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01113.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

Well I went ahead and pulled the head off, pulled out the #2 piston and pulled the crankshaft. Will get the crankshaft checked and machined as needed. Will also have them check the rod and cap for out of round. If no problems will reinstall all parts with new gaskets and put it in my sedan.

This engine is like new. Probably less than 5k on this motor. Still wondering why the bearing spun. :confused:

Just read the posts by James Curl on his engine issues. I'll have to check the bearing halves as I did not know that made a difference either. If this is a problem in my engine could have affected #2 as well as #1 in James engine.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Update on the crank, etc.

Took the parts to the machine shop yesterday and they called me today. Told me that the crank needs reground and will need to take off .020 per journal including mains. Also rod is .006 out of round and that they can fix that.

Looks like I will need all new rod and main bearings. Already figured that pretty much. Will be nice when I get it back together and in the car. At least I will know what was done to it now as I am putting it together.

That can be a good thing and a bad thing. :D

I was thinking that maybe the other journals wouldn't need turning and you might get away with just rounding out the rod and taking a little off of the one journal that had the spun bearing, especially since it sounded like you hadn't put many miles on it after having it rebuilt.....but, on the other side of the coin.....maybe there was some bad machining on that crank when rebuilt and all the journals were questionable when the motor went together. Either way, if you've got a good shop and machinist, and the bearings go in correctly, you shouldn't have a problem with the bottom end for quite a while. Keep us posted...

Update on the crank, etc.

Took the parts to the machine shop yesterday and they called me today. Told me that the crank needs reground and will need to take off .020 per journal including mains. Also rod is .006 out of round and that they can fix that.

Looks like I will need all new rod and main bearings. Already figured that pretty much. Will be nice when I get it back together and in the car. At least I will know what was done to it now as I am putting it together.

That can be a good thing and a bad thing. :D