1954 Belvedere Powerflite

DakotaFrank

depending on how much work you are willing to do yourself and how willing you are to learn about these cars is what is a deciding factor here. you do not sound like you really love this car. something closer and in running condition may be a better start for you. if the hood does not open it is not rusty hinges, something else is holding it closed. without knowing what is under the hood it is a risky buy. why doesn't the seller get the hood open? this is a good complete car for someone to start with.is that person you?your decision     capt den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As said before, look underneath. I bought all the floor panels, rockers and trunk panels for my 58 Dodge Coronet (which I may never get to) and it was $1,000 - 1200. That's just the parts.  Check if the rear seat back under the window is still flexible.  Sometimes the heat/sun will dry them out.  Also that at least the steering wheel rim is solid. My 58 steering wheel just crumbled apart.  Bought another one..ouch.  Flat Head motors probably $3-4K for a shop to do an overhaul.   If that motor isn't running it could get expensive. Don't get into a hurry.

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_8973.JPG

IMG_8954.JPG

Edited by Bryan
  • Thanks 1

That looks like a nice 58 Dodge....andyd

8 hours ago, andyd said:

That looks like a nice 58 Dodge....andyd

Was my mother's car.  Bottom pans and some side frames underneath rusted. Point is, that it can look nice and still have a lot of work needed underneath.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all responses.  The car is near where I am now, but I go back home next week and won’t have time to do anything about it…  So, maybe I should just forget it and try to find something closer to home.  (I wasn’t looking for a Plymouth, or a car at all when this one caught my eye.  I’m really an old truck guy.)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DakotaFrank said:

Thanks for all responses.  The car is near where I am now, but I go back home next week and won’t have time to do anything about it…  So, maybe I should just forget it and try to find something closer to home.  (I wasn’t looking for a Plymouth, or a car at all when this one caught my eye.  I’m really an old truck guy.)

That's good. Get something near home that runs and you can look up under it.  Facebook has a marketplace that you can search for vehicles in your area.  

• Thanks 1

In my mind, the big deciders would be:

1. Interior condition.

2 Fairly rare true automatic trans

3. decent exterior

But the unknowns are the condition of the floor and trunk pans, rocker panel bottoms etc.

If it is in a dry climate they may be OK, or at least fixable with minor patching.  In a really wet area, probably not. 

And price of course.   A lot can be forgiven if cheap enough.  Anything over $xxxx dollars would mandate a bottom side inspection, insert your amount here.

I've driven nearly that far to trailer home less valuable things.   But not since $4++ gasoline!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DakotaFrank said:

Thing is, if your heart is not into it ... it is wasted time on your part.

I actually had a 1966 Elcamino  with a factory 283/4spd .... the cabin rust had been repaired ... was a perfect car .... I just hated it. I'm a truck guy, the Elcamino was a car, I had to register it as a truck .... I hated it.

I sold it once but had to repossess it as the clown would not pay, I then took it in to trade for a 1972 CJ5 jeep. ..... Not because I wanted a jeep, I simply did not want a elcamino car pretending to be a truck.

Just suggesting to not get involved in a car if a truck is your choice.

I worked out of a van for years, my wife drives a van, I do get along fine with trucks ..... I have no patience for a car personally.

• Thanks 1

Steering wheel is a 1951-52 Chrysler...

In my opinion, besides the motor & transmission condition, the condition of small chrome parts inside is something to look for. You can sand and paint a metal dash and metal door trim but getting parts rechromed can get expensive (bumpers and grills too).  Replacing crumbling steering wheels is expensive.  

• Thanks 1

depending on how much work you are willing to do yourself and how willing you are to learn about these cars is what is a deciding factor here. you do not sound like you really love this car. something closer and in running condition may be a better start for you. if the hood does not open it is not rusty hinges, something else is holding it closed. without knowing what is under the hood it is a risky buy. why doesn't the seller get the hood open? this is a good complete car for someone to start with.is that person you?your decision. thought i recognized the entire steering wheel assembly. looks identical to my 54 windsor, only the one here is for non-power steering.     capt den

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for all responses.  It’s been informative, and fun. 
I will be back here in a month or so for another 3-4 week stay.  Maybe… I will visit this again.  I am reasonably sure the car will still be there.  We will see.