Horn went silent

White Spyder

I found this diagram on this site.

With key on:

6vdc at 'S' means you have voltage from ignition to the coil of the relay. This does not rule out the horn button. When the horn button is depressed that closes the circuit and the relay should click. If audible.

You say you have voltage at 'B' indicating a voltage to the contacts of the relay.

When the horn button is depressed the coil energizes and closes the contacts at 'H' you should have 6vdc at 'H' and horn will sound.

If voltage at 'H' and no horn sound. check continuity between 'H' and horn.

If no voltage at 'H' look for a fuse. If the fuse is ok (check with a meter) the contacts are bad

Check continuity at the Horn Button no continuity when at rest. Good reading when depressed

There are 2 circuits here;

the horn button, and the other, the horn. The button (Green) controls the horn circuit (Red).

Hope this helps

48 chrysler horn.jpg

Edited by SteveR
  • Like 1

The reason for a 2 circuit system here is: The horn requires a higher current (amperage) to operate. So it requires a larger gauge wire. Red). Therefore the control circuit (green) is low amperage and has a thinner wire. If you were to operate the horn without the relay you would quickly burn out the horn switch and possibly melt the thin wire insulation. I doubt that it would catch fire but best not to put it to the test

One thing I learned when I rewired my car was that originally the horn would only work with the key in the on position.  I thought that foolish since you couldn't honk the horn otherwise.  So I set it up to work key on or off.

Then one day I leaned my driver's seat forward to get in the back and the horn honked at me, lol.  Now I know why they set it up the way they did.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Then one day I leaned my driver's seat forward to get in the back and the horn honked at me, lol.  Now I know why they set it up the way they did.

Did you change it back?

SteveR, thanks for the diagram. Sniper, it was not until I read your post that I kept missing that the key needed to be on to sound the horns.. several others mentioned it but I missed it. 

With the key on the jumper from the green wire to the relay, the horns blew. Pulled the center ring and fund the wire only hanging on by a couple of strands of copper. All is working as it should now. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SteveR said:

Did you change it back?

Nope. I am just mindful that I need to watch the driver's seat as I tilt it forward.  Only thing that goes in the back is groceries, yes it is a grocery getter, lol.

• Like 1

I power my horn relay from the Accessory post of the ignition switch.  The horn won't blow if the switch is off, but I can blow the horn for the neighbor kids without turning the Ignition switch all the way on.   The little kids love me honking the horn. 

• Like 1