engine

DJK

7 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

What is the condition? I did the same thing. Mine is at the machine shop waiting it’s turn. All the shops seem busier than usual but that’s okay. Mine is a winter project. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.

I left it in the back of my truck while I removed the bell housing, clutch, flywheel, water pump, dist., water distribution tube(which came out easily) and block drain. Then drove out back and fired up the pressure washer to flush out the block(did not remove any freeze plugs) and de-grease the exterior. Unloaded, removed cylinder head, many valves stuck open, got all freed up but #1 ex., removed that one with some effort, guide appears to have wear. Very little ridge at top of cylinders, after cleaning the carbon off, I can barely catch it with my fingernail(encouraging). I had dumped some used oil in it while turning it over by hand freeing up the valves and oil actually started coming out the tube that goes to the oil gauge!!!! Need to go get my neighbors engine stand so I can get it mounted and remove the oil pan and pistons. My engine has the rope rear main seal which still seeps a bit, this engine has the neoprene seal that I'm hoping will be better.

12 minutes ago, Booger said:

the Plymouth bible sez rope seal prior to 53 P24. But components get swapped in early rebuilds. Its whatever works.

Correct. My 52 P23 has the rope seal, this P24 has the neoprene seal.

Are you planning to closely inspect the newly acquired engine, then decide if you’ll make it a runner? Or are you considering a complete rebuild?

10 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Are you planning to closely inspect the newly acquired engine, then decide if you’ll make it a runner? Or are you considering a complete rebuild?

I am planning on a complete rebuild to make it reliable. I have $2k in the engine in my Cranbrook now, what's another $2k????!!!!