Chryslers at Carlise

desoto1939

Well I drove 2.5 hours from Philadelphia to Carlise on Friday morning. Had to sit in the regular traffic jam from the turnpike all the way into the center of town.

If you do  have a MoPar that is manufacturered prior to  the mid 70-1980 then I would like to tell you from my first hand experience that do not waste your time attending.

The cost to enter the grounds is $15 plus $10 parking.  I walked the entire swap area. To note there was not one vender with any pre-post war and up to the 60s with any parts, not even any ignition parts such as point, cond, rotor or caps to fit our cars.  I did find one MoPar flat head 6 water pump and this was for the years around 1937-48 but it was in rough shape.

I have seen the decline in parts for our MoPar over the years and this was the worst. Lots of old used and some NOS high performance stuff. If you have a cuda, road runner GTX and similar then you will find items.

So this is my last year to attend Chryslers at Carlise.  I will save the costs and use that to go to Hershey in the Fall. I feel that you might even have better luck at a local swap meet for the early vintage items.

Lots of nice cars on the show ground most earliest in Building T was a 1930 Desoto ruble seet coupe basically original, als a 37 Dodge sedan under one of the tents and a56 Desoto Ambulance-Herst. 

So baically pick your poison  or save you money and yes even buy off of ebay at least you can do that from you home with out any travel fees.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 3

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I personally feel Hershey will be a bust as well. Costs for Vendors and Spectators has gone out the window. PA. Turnpike tolls are the most expensive in the Nation, and will continue to out pace toll roads in the future as well. Hotels! Ha, forget it!

How about a Hershey Swap Meet Site?

Would be a great way to hook up vendors with buyers under certain categories.

Communication, even here as to what we all have stashed away, and know we will NEVER use but someone else is dying to get their hands on would start the MoPar "Hershey Row". Heaven only knows I am way guilty of what must say is hoarding pre-war Plymouth items!

My two cents worth... 

Skrambler:  The price for a vendor spot at Hershey is $90 for a 10x20 spot. This entitles the vendor to setup on Monday, and sell items from Tuesday to Friday.

Hershey has chnaged the show dates this year.  The car show will be held on Friday and all venders must be off the parking lot by Friday Midnight. 

We have two National Desoto vendor spots located in the Orange field row OAD site number 7&8. Also look for the National desoto club Banner.  Les Pesavento and I have been at this site for the past 5 years.  I specialized inthe early Prewar cars and Les is more  with some 29 and 46-48 Desotos.

We welcome all members of theP15-d25 forum becasue we ae all MopAr guys.  Several of the PF15-D25 members stopped by last year and I helped them out with their Sisson Chokes.

Like any other major 4 day event yes the cost of the hotels are high because they have a captured crowd. About 15 years ago I had a hotel and it was a 4 day minimum at $125 per night and cost me $500.  To reserve the same reservation for the next years event at Hershey they the hotel, required full payment in advance so another $500 out of pocket.

Yes gas prices are up and the Pa turnpike has tolls but there are always costs to get to anythig that you feel is important.  I feel that you have to budget for the trip and plan ahead.

So when you see the prices at Hershey now you know why items cost what they do. Alot of ender are in the hole even before they sell one item.  So figure it cost around $10 be day for the site plus hotel, gas and food.  So it is expensive for a vedor.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.

With the date changes, I also expect to see venue changes in the very near future. At the very least, a combination of the Carlisle and Hershey show. I used to live 3.5 hours West of Hershey and was blessed to be able to visit the event for  19 consecutive years. It has been 6 years since I have been there, and, I knew when I was walking to my car that it would be the last. Sad, it used to really be a fun show. Nothing in the world like slipping down the muddy hill on the once named White Field! LOL!  Oh the good ol' days!

Skrambler:  I also do remember the big hill on the white field and how slippery it would get after a rain. I was such fun watchinh grown men fall on ther buts and then slide down the hill and laughing like little kids playing inthe mud as a child. But the best part is that they found get up at the bottom and do it all again.

The little kids in all of us never leaves our body.  I also remember al of the large tire tracks hole and people losing their boots and standing on one leg and trying to get the other boot back on.  Those days of the mud have left but it was a big part of Hershey.

I was camped out on the Chocolate field just across from Chocolate World. If you remember there was a large culvert and the field had a big dip inthe filed to funnel the water into the pipe drain.  Well one Wednesday night it poured liquid sunshine and i woke up to hearing geese quacking inthe morning. i looked out of the trailer and three venders site had been flooded out and there was alake in the culvert area. These geese were just swimming around in the water and were as happy as could be.

Those were the good old days along with the white field and the airport and the Green field were you could get some great deals.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1