Project snowballing

Young Ed

Snowballed so much it might as well be December! Simple project I thought to replace a broken dipstick tube glued in place by a previous owner. Bottom of it was basically flush with block and the rest was stuck inside. Orangish piece is a blob of glue or gasket maker they used to try and hold it in place. Last fall when checking the oil before our last trip of the season the dipstick tube came out with the dipstick!

IMG_20211009_202033.jpg

Fast forward to this summer. New tube purchased. Tried easy out, tapped some threads in it and tried pulling it with a bolt and a slide hammer. Tried to put string trimmer string through it and out the dipstick so I could push it through. Nothing so I resorted to drilling. Got just about done and the drill snagged and snapped off a 3/8 drill in the block. So off comes the pan. Maybe a rookie mistake but I didn't know the hole necks down drastically at the bottom so my pushing through plan or drilling plan was destined to fail. Now tonight I got all the under hood stuff wrapped up and started cleaning the oil pan for when my gasket set arrives tomorrow. Tragedy strikes again. I started seeing an area in the pan that looked like the same gunk holding the dipstick. And then some other areas that had little blobs of rtv. Sure enough HOLES in my oil pan. 

IMG_20220714_203938.jpg

Not the easiest to see but there are 3 holes that sorta form a triangle in the sump and a 4th not pictured under the gunk above. 

IMG_20220714_214536.jpg

So tomorrow before I can reinstall anything I'll be attempting to weld these babies up. 

30 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

poor thing looks to be a victim of a smear campaign instigated by a guy with the initials  J B W  I am sure you will do the proper fix on this.

Long term I'll scoop up a new pan. Luckily this is one of the parts that fits between A and LA 318s so a new pan is readily available but of course not in time for the weekend and then the cars trip to the trans shop to get that leaking fixed!

Oil pan repair held gasoline all day. I figured if it holds that it should hold oil. Pan is back on and just about got everything else reinstalled. Gotta locate one castle nut for the steering that seems to have rolled away.....

38 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

ask the kids....they may be crafty enough to figure out a castle nut makes a good bike spoke wrench...

Haha I outsmarted myself and had it back on the idler arm so I wouldn't loose it!!

Car ran down to the show and back perfectly. It's about 60 miles round trip. We did spend some time in traffic which really sucks in a car with no AC. Here's a few pics I took. 

IMG_20220717_112203.jpg

This was a little challenging. The other 2 cars were ready parked and they wanted me to back in there but I was coming from the wrong direction...

IMG_20220717_112219.jpg

IMG_20220717_114333.jpg

IMG_20220717_125517.jpg

IMG_20220717_135643.jpg

Had to snap a couple pics of the Empi that was there. Unfortunately it was about to rain so I didn't get a chance to really talk to the owner. He was about to run for home. 

IMG_20220717_150648.jpg

IMG_20220717_150658.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Next one- this is likely to snowball too but it'll be self induced. My wagon used to have aftermarket air deflectors at the rear. The one side still has 2 random screws. Other side they got patched I guess. Anyway I tracked down a set of the factory handles and air deflectors. The snowball part will come in when I start taking apart the ancient plastic trim to bolt these on.

IMG_20220811_203329.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

Do the handles and deflectors need additional inside bracing to be installed?

That's a good question and one I haven't found the answer to.