Transmission/Fluid Drive Help

Noah H

After finding an engine for my 50 Dodge While removing my fluid coupling, I notice it looks like it has been welded.. 

my question is if it’s still useable. Does this ever happen with FD units? 

my next question is if a transmission from a 230 cu in 1951 Coronet would fit in a 230 cu in 1950 Meadowbrook. Both standard 3 speed fluid drive cars. 

30F6CB7A-BA59-4238-9D24-367BDD8F19FF.jpeg

There was a discussion of this on the forum a fee months ago.  Apparently when afluid drive unit developed a leak some owners opted to weld it solid rather than pay to have it repaired.  The car could still be driven as a standard 3 speed, but without the benefits of the fluid drive.  Try a search for "fluid drive".

• Like 1

Be careful not to hit the plate on the other side against anything or wiggle it too hard. There is a delicate seal (carbon) that you can damage.  I bought some too long bolts and used them to lightly fix the plate so it couldn't be wobbled.

IMG_5682 instead of wedges.jpg

IMG_5882.JPG

• Like 1

Yup, that's normal. I believe it's just a cap for the end of the pilot bushing area. Here's mine. 

Also, in case you aren't aware... the 8 studs aren't symetric. There are 2 that are closer together than the rest. (bottom set in my photo) The crank flanges are drilled to match so that the FD coupling can only be installed in one position. When I removed mine, before taking this picture, I remembered to mark it's location relative to the crank flange (yellow mark). Unfortunately before going back together I wiped everything down, which removed my paint stick mark. ? But if you study both sides enough you'll figure out how to match up the studs to the holes and it should slide right on. If not, turn it to the next hole and try again. 

P1171596.JPG.ad159b12c99709d67f45d372e6eefd9b.JPG

• Like 2