Chrysler Carlisle

DJK

I have been going for over 20+ years but I have been noticing that the old 30,40,50 and 60 and 70 parts are not really showing up.  It is more high performance items.

Last year did not find anything of real importance for my 39 Desoto.

Went to spring Carlise and only found one vender selling NOS points, condensors and some rotos from the 40-50's. Purchased what he had that fit my 39 Desoto.  So basically the parts are not coming out and they are getting harder to find dealers with these parts.  So if you find them at any local swapmeet then suggest you get what they have and stock pile the older items.  I prefer Autolite equipment so that is my main product of choice becasue my car was originally equipted with the Autolite electrical items.

I might go on Friday but not real sure.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

i went to moultrie, GA earlier this year.they had some older stuff. i got new wiper arms with the blades. a great brake drum puller. you just had to look around alot and there was some old car stuff. found a guy parting out a 53 chrysler. never been to carlisle. i cannot walk these huge shows. at moultrie i rented a scooter, but book one early if you go to any show that has them. only thing is the scooter has very little carrying space, so bring a wagon you can tie to the back for any bigger items.   capt den

• Like 1

the Moultrie even this spring is the first event I have missed at that venue for years....they changed the spring dates that ended up being the same as one at 100 miles distance and THE ONLY show I vend at as it is 8 miles from the house.   Moultrie is always more a miss for older Mopars but sometimes you do find an acorn if you dig enough.  These finds are always a treat, but at best, the Moultrie show is more a source for shop sundries and snick snack items for the shop than actual parts find.  

I see you from NC...swap meet sponsored by the Hornest Nest was an event I attended also...6 hour drive but after a couple shows where the vendors say, I brought my catalog will mail to you....sorry that does not work for me...I can sit at home on my computer and shop in that manner.  The cars and such as the shows.....unless it is a project car, I never bother to look at them...just no time considering the size of the swap meet fields. 

I also agree about Chrysler at Carlise, a hit or miss on the older MoPar parts.  The real next big event is Fall Carlis and then following week in October is Hershey the biggest Northeast event.  But even at Hershey the early MoPar stuff is getting harder to find.

If you plan on attending I have two sites inthe Orange field row OAD7&8  feel free to stop by and chat.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I was thinking about going because I am looking for some steel fender skirts for my '50 coronet.  I however hate to travel that far to come back empty handed.  If anyone some or has a lead on some I would be very appreciative.  

I wonder if the flathead era Mopar parts situation is the same at the Pacific Northwest swap meet in Portland? Anyone been lately? Last couple of years were cancelled I believe.  https://www.portlandswapmeet.com/

Edited by keithb7

On 7/7/2022 at 10:53 AM, desoto1939 said:

I have been going for over 20+ years but I have been noticing that the old 30,40,50 and 60 and 70 parts are not really showing up.  It is more high performance items.

Last year did not find anything of real importance for my 39 Desoto.

Went to spring Carlise and only found one vender selling NOS points, condensors and some rotos from the 40-50's. Purchased what he had that fit my 39 Desoto.  So basically the parts are not coming out and they are getting harder to find dealers with these parts.  So if you find them at any local swapmeet then suggest you get what they have and stock pile the older items.  I prefer Autolite equipment so that is my main product of choice becasue my car was originally equipted with the Autolite electrical items.

I might go on Friday but not real sure.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich, that doesn't sound very promising for a 3 hr. drive to get there, may reconsider, thanks for the update.

It used to be that late 40’s early 50’s Mopars were everywhere. They are an affordable way to get into the old car hobby. Now when I go to a show I’m often the only car of that vintage. Interest in the older stuff isn’t what it was. I’m afraid a lot of cars and trucks are going to be scrapped when their owners die .

So I am going to give an example of old things falling by the way side.

I am an avid sporting clay shooter and when I started in the early 90’s, the only thought to be competitive shotguns for the sport were the newest models over/unders.  Being my father was an enthusiast of the LC Smith side by sides, I had a few to take to the sporting clay ranges. My first few times, I was told to take them home as they were ~100 years old and could be unsafe. Well, I listened to those folks and bought some high end late models over/unders. 
  My father was not happy as he felt they were still quality, competitive guns and had a place in the world to be enjoyed. At the time, those guns could be had for a few hundred dollars  and a sixteen gauge was worthless as all ammo dried up.

20 years ago my father as one of the charter members, formed the LC Smith Collectors Association and he represented the shooting side. The clubs’ goal was to educate and promote those guns. It started with about 6 members across the USA and now has over 1000 members. There are more competitive events held through the year in a local area than a man can attend and prices have shot up some 400% plus on the higher graded guns. A 16 gauge now is worth approximately 30% more than a 12 because of the lower production numbers.

I am only giving this as an example stating that each one of us using this forum control the love of the hobby for the next generation. Sometimes we just need to think outside of the box a little, for instance; maybe include something on upcoming events that provides $$ toward college scholarships. This will grab the younger generation and some parents as well because it is something that can be done together. Just my thoughts for this morning—- Kevin 

• Like 3

Another big sign of the hobby is the Auction Houses such as Mecum and Barrett-Jackson. Just look at allthe modern cars going across the line for auctin. You seldom see any vintage late 30,40,50 cars. And when you do and they are done to a great quality of workmanship the price that they sell for is very very low.

But the buyers are paying for the modern hemic cars and trucks over the 75-150 K plus buyer fees of additional 10%. So now you have a fully restored vehicle that is a show car and now do you want to drive it on the road, basically no.

with the price of gas for these high performance cars at $6 and + a gallon. So in the end they might just be looking at the cars in their garage and the early cars can be driven becasue they are not picture perfect cars and still have lots of fun.

Yes the hobby is changing and with the advent of electric vehicles we all are inthe same sinking boat. So the options are to drie our cars now and have fun or sell them maybe at a loss or wait for a later sale of the car when the hobby has been handcuffed because of government and the car manufacturers telling us what they want us to purchase.

even the Great AACA is not even pushing anything and their membership is getting less each year. The older members are dying and the younger guys are not joining AACA. They see no good reason to join the old mans club.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2