Carter B&B EV2 Spring?

cheesy

Hey all, I pulled the above carb off my 48 Desoto for rebuilding. I haven't found much on the EV2 other than in the Carter spec book, but what I have found in my DeSoto shop manual shows a spring below the dashpot piston. I don't recall seeing it when I pulled the carb apart but that doesn't mean I didn't drop it and it went into an alternate universe. I did find one errant spring in my search, so I used it but I may have found someone else's spring from that alternate universe. In a nutshell, the engine starts better than it has in years but I can't get the idle below 1500 rpm unless I manually pull the dashpot linkage down. Once there, it idles fine until I blip the throttle, then I have to manually pull the dashpot linkage down again because it's once again sitting at 1500 rpm. I know the purpose of the dashpot is to slow the return of the throttle so it doesn't slam shut, so I am assuming I have found the wrong spring.

So, is there even supposed to be a spring below the dashpot piston? If there is, does anyone have dimensions of this spring or an extra one taking up space in a drawer? 

Thanks.

Cheesy,

I know everyone here knows more about everything than I do, however trust me, I have rebuilt a dozen EV1 B&B Carters with and without putting a spring in the bottom of the Dash Pot. Don't do it. Take it out and set your RPM's around 475 - 500 and everything will be OK. I'm sure we will hear a litany of better informed more intelligent people than me chime in and refute what I have just typed. Just as a note that is why I very seldom coment on this site anymore. Because I have found out from others just how ignorant I really am. So then OK (as young folk like to begin to couch their comments and phrases today) do as you please, it matters not to me, but you will find a much smoother running Carb without that spring. 

Good Luck.

Tom

• Thanks 3

Tom:  Do not be afraid to add comments espcially when you have also done several of these repairs.  Ye most of us are as we would say Shade Tree Mechanic's and most of us are learning as we try to repair our cars.  Input from someone else that has done the same repair is always valuable so feel free to make suggestions.

I have learned a lot just be reading what other people have replied to questions and sometime I can pas that along to other owners.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

Tom:  Do not be afraid to add comments espcially when you have also done several of these repairs.  Ye most of us are as we would say Shade Tree Mechanic's and most of us are learning as we try to repair our cars.  Input from someone else that has done the same repair is always valuable so feel free to make suggestions.

I have learned a lot just be reading what other people have replied to questions and sometime I can pas that along to other owners.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

To Tom:

I second this request.  I'm one of those guys that sometimes post stuff that is contrary to what purists would do.  See my comments on vacuum gauge timing vs timing lights.  Sometimes experience and reality will trump factory methods.  IMO, it is best to read the good and bad, sort through the facts and results and make up ones own mind.

We as a group can evaluate, discuss, even disagree, but we all can learn and proceed on our path.  Even if your, or my, way isn't universally adopted at least everyone can know the pros and cons.

On the issue of the dashpot, I suspect the need for a spring and the results of having vs not having one may be dependent on the transmission type and overall state of tune.   Fluid drive, 'normal' 3 or 4 speed, M6 and Hy-Drive may not all react the same way to its presence or absence.

• Like 1

So I removed the spring and I am pretty impressed right now. Thanks, Tom.

The Desoto has been in the family since 1978 and I don't ever remember it running this nice. I will add the everything in the carb was pretty wonky. I'm willing to bet that my Dad probably built this carb from three different ones and eyeballed everything(Probably where I got my carpentry skills[?]). Depending on what you read, float height is anywhere from 1/16" to 5/64". I'm willing to bet the float height was in the neighborhood of 3/8". Explains a lot.

I have the M6 transmission in this beast and I didn't notice any difference in shifting before and after the rebuild. Maybe the spring was never there to start with. What I did notice is that acceleration is not so leisurely* as before and the kickdown now works 100% of the time. There is still an issue with the choke, but one thing at a time.

*I used to think my Ural sidecar rig would slap the DeSoto in a drag race. I don't think that anymore.

New Graphics

• Like 1

Cheesy,

Great! Yes I have the M6 Tranny also. I am very glad everything has worked out. I have been rebuilding Carbs since 1973 and feel like I knew a little something that would help you. Thanks to Rich and Ken for their kind comments as well!

Tom