Replacement Fuel Pump

cef2lion

Helping friend of mine with replacing the fuel pump in his 1952 Coronet. Has the 230 Engine. It had an Autolite FA-4001 on it. No rebuild kits to be found. I talked to Then & Now and they suggested an AC588. Also, it was suggested the AIRTEX 73201. Nothing in stock that I could find. My friend saw Rock Auto had one listed for his year and model. He ordered it. There was no picture of it and I could find anything about the USMW17477 that Rock Auto was selling. I told him I wasn't sure it would work. It came yesterday. Looking at it I'm just not sure. The only marking on the pump are 1003ABCC. I suggested he talk with Then and Now or Andy Bernbaun. He liked the price of this pump. Any thoughts if this USMW looks right? Interesting the box has 588 on it.

USMW17477.jpg

Doesn't look anything like the fuel pump on my 52 230.  In and out ports are located incorrectly, mounting bolt pattern is wrong.

https://www.usmotorworks.com/catalog/

Punch in the part number in the search function.  It's for a V8.

I sent RA an email about this

Edited by Sniper

Thanks for the link. I looked at that site as well and see the V8 application.

I downloaded the fuel pump catalog from the USMP link. I don't see a cross reference for the AIRTEX 73201 or a listing for a 1952 Dodge 230.

Edited by cef2lion
Added content

Rockauto has the correct Carter pump listed under 53 Dodge truck.  Less than 42 bucks.  The source of  the other one purchased from Rock obviously provided wrong application info.

I found these things from 42 to 271 bucks!!!  I pays to shop.

Edit:  it's a Carter M2091

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 3

Thank you all!!

I was looking over all the pump links from different vendors including the Carter. The actuator arm is different on each. The Carter has a real curve to it. The one that we took off had an almost straight arm. Would all the suggested ones work an just touch the cam differently? 

Edited by cef2lion
Update the post

As far as I know all the various brands of pumps so long as the mounting flange on the actual pump body is the same then whether the pump arm touches the cam below, or above the cam shouldn't make any difference as to how the pump operates...........but happy to be shown I'm wrong..............andyd 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a correct fuel pump an new short rubber fuel line to input fuel pump. 

I blew out the fuel line an ran some clean gas threw the line into a clean container. Smelled like turpentine at first. Then ran pretty clean. Did it again today an was even cleaner. Is there something other then gas to flush the line?

I was thinking of adding an inline filter before the pump? Is that ok on the suction side of the pump? The fuel pump has the sediment bowl but would like to add an inline as well. Or add it after the fuel pump. 

The three pumps that Sniper showed are AC 588 pumps that were used from approx 1937 up into the mid 50's  This is the same pump that is only 39 Desoto. When my old pump went bad i took off the pump from the engine and it still had the AC 588 metal parts tag attached to the pump.

Even NAPA had these pumps but they wanted to know for what car I told them that this is the pump I needed and they had it in two days.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks for the suggestion on the filter location. I was also considering putting it  right before the fuel pump to collect deposits in the line from the tank forward. I have a new tank going in. Was hoping I don’t have to replace the fuel line. 

6 minutes ago, cef2lion said:

Thanks for the suggestion on the filter location. I was also considering putting it  right before the fuel pump to collect deposits in the line from the tank forward. I have a new tank going in. Was hoping I don’t have to replace the fuel line. 

Cef2lion. Since you are replacing the gas tank then I would make a suggestion that you also install an electric fp at the same time.  The fuel line can be cut and then a rubber hose spliced intot eh fuel line from the gas tank to the electric pump. Also a good idea to put the filter prior to the electric fp.  Electric pumps like to push fuel and not pull fuel.

Hook the electric curcuit up to a toggle switch that is only powered when the ignition is on. You can control the electric pump via the toggle swith prior to starting the car to prime the carb or if you ever get a vapor lock. I have this setup on my 39 desoto for the past 25+ years.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I agree with Rich. I have an electric pump on my Coronet. It’s great for priming the system after the car sits. I highly recommend replacing the fuel line especially if you’re installing a new tank. Nickel copper line is easy to work with and lasts forever. Be careful with the ferrule at the tank connection. It tends to disappear into a black hole if you drop it.