Picking a paint store. Auto Color Library?

MarcDeSoto

If that is your other hot rod Sam, green with envy does not even cover it! Very nice aircraft! Single stage paint paint just looks better on a period car since base clear did not exist at the time and can appear overstated on a vehicle that originally was finished in a single stage lacquer as was used up north for some time longer than in the US.

1 hour ago, Marcel Backs said:

If that is your other hot rod Sam, green with envy does not even cover it! Very nice aircraft! Single stage paint paint just looks better on a period car since base clear did not exist at the time and can appear overstated on a vehicle that originally was finished in a single stage lacquer as was used up north for some time longer than in the US.

Thank you Marcel, that is N399SB, my main hot rod since I finished it in 1999, have covered a good chunk of the USA in it.  :)

That was my first experience with PPG Concept, it still looks great after 23 years.

finsh203.jpg.1af44935f1caca03cfbd50d0d7b9a85e.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Sam, nice airplane by the way!  Is that an air supplied suit?  

Thanks, Marc. Yes, fresh air is supplied by a small compressor (blue hose) located outside the shop to the hood. Only the hood is special, the suit is just a Tyvec coverall available in most paint and tool stores, the hood tucks into the coverall collar. You never smell the fumes.

https://www.hisco.com/Product/S-657-31180?utm_term=&utm_campaign=Transactional - PLA - 3M&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=8827094775&hsa_cam=10331010423&hsa_grp=103215905952&hsa_ad=443006607011&hsa_src=u&hsa_tgt=pla-1050265673418&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzqSWBhDPARIsAK38LY9p6n27G90x5zbxIThnIi84DsDSoahySyEnXDuDq6hcUX-xigCAnhEaAiIKEALw_wcB

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcDeSoto said:

The hood is very affordable, but I can't see spending $3300 for the air compressor for one car.  At my age, I don't think I want to restore another car!  

I used my 10 gal compressor (Home Depot) for the hood, a pancake compressor would work fine, not much volume needed.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-13-hp-110-psi-oil-free-pancake-air-compressor-57567.html

$69

57567_W3.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

I feel the low buck  Demographic needs some representation.  Lowes: Rustoleum Gloss black Industrial Enamel. Patch painted what was left from Rattle canning the back of the car.  You can see where the good paint is.  I plan on doing a full paint job at some point.

First Paint 1.png

Edited by OUTFXD
  • Like 4

Great Plymouth!  Looks very presentable!  Thanks Sam for the advice.  I've always been told that an air supplied set up would cost thousands of $$$!  I guess it has to be an oiless compressor so you don't breathe in oil fumes!  

Well.  Low budget options,  I have a $175 compressor, a $79 HVLP pressure pot gun (also a $9 gravity fed gun for parts).  a $55 full face respirator, $50 water/oil/air  filter/ Forced air kit for the respirator and $36 dollars a gallon for the paint.

Now you will have to manage expectations on the quality of the paint job. you will NOT get a show quality paint job with this set up.  However 95% of the quality of a paint job is Prep,  Proper Spray technique, low dust/bug location and post spray work (cut and buffing).  Which is to say, not something you have to spend a ton of money on. so you CAN get a presentable paint with less of an investment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Thanks, Marc. Yes, fresh air is supplied by a small compressor (blue hose) located outside the shop to the hood.

Compressor?  I'd probably be trying to hook my shop Vac exhaust to that. After cleaning it up of course.?

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Compressor?  I'd probably be trying to hook my shop Vac exhaust to that. After cleaning it up of course.?

That would work but might require more work in regard to hoses. Ready-made air hoses are pretty easy to hook up.

Yes...make sure you attach to the exhaust on your shop-vac!  ??

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Haha 1

Who put my picture of me with my SD San Diego cap on here?  That's how I dress to paint a car.  I saw a guy on Youtube say that the best hose for spraying with an HVLP gun is 1/2".  You can spray with 3/8" hose as he was in the video, but the best is with a larger diameter hose, as HVLP uses a greater volume of air.  So I'm thinking of buying a half inch hose, but then I have to change all the couplings at the reel, the gun, the hose, the regulator, etc.  Do you think I should do that, or just use the 3/8" hose?

I use a DeVilbiss GTI620G for good stuff.  HF for other stuff.   I use 3/8 for everything.  Works better than I can shoot!  There is a version of this gun that is HTE rather than HVLP, but the two parts to convert mine are almost 300 bucks.  So I'll stay with the HVLP.  It uses 15CFM at 30psi inlet pressure according to the specs.  But, I'm not sure it uses that much.  3/8 air hose supposedly only flows 13-14 CFM at 30 but I see no signs of air starvation.

Some guys use hi-flow fittings though, but still 1/4 pipe thread in/out and 3/8 hose.  I've never seen 1/2 anywhere other than tire shops on there 3/4 or 1: truck impacts.

Good hi-flow fittings aren't cheap and cheap ones aren't good (most are aluminum) so I haven't tried them.  I think the soft aluminum male plugs would wear/ nick really easily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Well....if it's on YouTube it must be fact!   ?

What does the manufacturer of your gun recommend?

The manufacturer of the HVLP gun, which is HF, recommends 1/2" hose, but the gun is made for a 3/8 coupler!  So I asked the manager why is this so?  He said I would have to reduce the coupler from the 1/2" hose to 3/8" which would defeat the purpose.  He also said the 1/2" hose was mainly for tire shops or nail guns.  So I think I'm going to ignore the 1/2" hose recommendation.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

The manufacturer of the HVLP gun, which is HF, recommends 1/2" hose, but the gun is made for a 3/8 coupler!  So I asked the manager why is this so?  He said I would have to reduce the coupler from the 1/2" hose to 3/8" which would defeat the purpose.  He also said the 1/2" hose was mainly for tire shops or nail guns.  So I think I'm going to ignore the 1/2" hose recommendation.  

Hit the Easy Button.....try 3/8", if that doesn't work, only then upgrade to 1/2". 3/8" is the only size I've ever used.

• Like 1

If for some reason you become a paint expert, you will then explain to us how 1/2" hose is better then your 3/8" hose even though you have a regulator on your hose to not blow up your hvlp .... you tell me how that is working out for you.

Just suggesting a little thought on the subject should clear it right up.

I have ran 150' of 3/8 hose to paint my shed .... 1/2" hose is hog wash

I have 1" air piping through out my big shop...and use 3/8" 50' hoses for supplying air to most equipment..but use 1/2 air hose for for the 1" impact gun.

The longer the run...bigger piping..or larger diameter hose.

Bigger cfm requirements larger diameter plumbing and or hose....BTW..no pvc plumbing☠

My garage has 1 inch PVC piping going up to the ceiling then slanting upward across the garage and coming down in the middle and at the end with water drains on both down spouts.  Never had a problem with the pipes bursting or with water, but I keep the air press at 100 lbs.  

On 7/9/2022 at 12:32 AM, MarcDeSoto said:

As I told you, I picked a color a couple of days ago at Auto Color Library and ordered it.  I picked a color that was very close to the original grayish blue on my DeSoto.  But it was from a 42 Nash color chart, and called Strato blue.  After looking at color chips from a 42 Dodge folder, I began to second guess myself, so I called ACL to see if I could cancel my color choice.  No, it's just been mixed. I saw that the Strato Blue has a touch of green in it. So, I did something I should have done before finalizing my choice.  I went to Home Depot with my color chips and had them make $6 color samples.  They made my choice of Strato Blue and a 42 Dodge, DeSoto color called Bombardier Blue.  It's called Iris Blue in the DeSoto chart and Sky Blue in the Plymouth chart.  Sergio liked that color, but I thought it might be a little too bright.  It's a pretty color, but not sure if I want pretty on my car.  I used the latex paint to make big cardboard samples to hold up to the car.  It's better than just looking at color chips.  If I decide I don't like the Strato Blue, I might use it to practice with on junk fenders and boxes and then order another color.  Still not sure.  The cowl and the hood are about ready for paint, so I might try it out on those pieces to make a judgement.  Strato blue is on the left and Bombardier Blue is on the right.  Marc.

P1030022.JPG

P1030023.JPG

P1030024.JPG

Personally, I like the Bombardier Blue more than the Strato Blue.   To me, it just looks more in sync with the styling of these cars.  Nice color, but the Strato is just too blue.  

Just an FYI, I tried a similar cheap HVLP gun when I shot the doors of my panel (see pictures earlier in this thread).  Though it did work well for the price, I returned to my Binks when I shot the body as it laid the paint smoother.  That said, if I was only planning on painting 1 car here and there the cheap HVLP gun can't be beat for the price.