Empi Sportster Build

pflaming

It is time to get the sportster into its own post. I bought this some years ago to be a project for my grandson and myself. I paid $10 for it and $70 fuel to haul it home. I thought it would be a quick and easy project. Sound familiar. Photo is current status.

AF31A6F5-8E8C-4DAB-B008-390A9A1C111B.jpeg

9213B44A-4A8D-40F9-8B3C-2BB6172D4251.jpeg

171513E7-679C-496E-A327-D057EA6E45CD.jpeg

• Like 1

Just for the record,

When I was at Paul’s shop, the transmission was in but it was still lacking the four nuts on the front rubber mount and six proper bolts to the spring arms.

Over the years they changed the stud size for the front transmission mount, and Paul had to drill one out to make it fit. We were fortunate that the studs in the frame were still in good condition.

If you ever take one of these transmissions in and out it’s nice to have the spring compressors. We just used bailing wire and some old screwdrivers.

I decided years ago that I was not going to buy a set of spring compressors for every damn car. I have done a dozen springs with bailing wire.

I wired it across the shock absorber bolts, which is not optimal because it won’t allow you to take the transmission in and out.

Since it was already in, and not coming out, I didn’t have to wire directly to the spring.

I hooked up the head lights this morning. Dimmer switch works do have high and low beams.  Will ground the tail lights next and they will be done. Wiring is tricky for an old man,   

C26AF734-F645-41E6-91F7-BD932EBAF9ED.jpeg

• Like 1

I have decided to post only when I finish a project.  I wired the tail lights this morning. They are quite bright, but I sant to be seen. The sportster is quite small so safety is key  

08C37846-5D20-4AC6-A458-E6A82360C8B2.jpeg

• Like 1

You’re gonna have to pull up some of the wiring  to weld the chassis. Also, I don’t think you should put the engine in until you get those control tubes and cables straightened out.

• Like 1

And for god’s sake get the fuel line out of the tunnel before you weld on it. I don’t want you to die just because I don’t like your car.

I suggest this.

Join The Samba VW forums

Check the buggy and kit car room

Check the sticky thread titled

“EMPI Sportster Roll Call”

And if you are brave enough, post pictures of your car there, and they will tell you exactly what I said.

In spite of any disappointment you might feel, be happy that you joined the finest Volkswagen forum on the Internet and will be able to find out anything you need to know about your car.

Edited by Ulu

I like the Samba forum, just as helpful with my old Beetle as this Forum is with our D24.  For a while there, you had to get around the go-to remedy for everything wrong with your VW, that being timing and valve adjustment.  Headlights quit? Check your timing and valves - but at one point I think they were being a bit facetious with it.  Ulu is right, they are very quick to point out flaws, but they are just as quick to help.    

Engine is ready for installation. It is prewired, so just need to connect a couple wires.  So it appears the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT a train. 

2AA76560-9970-47A5-9807-A80B0242663A.jpeg

• Like 1

When I started this project I bought a disassembled 63 VW, parts for three engines, a separate pan, all from one source. I paid $80 for the lot. A grandfather was downsizing and this as a 30 year old inventory of his youngest son, he just wanted it gone. I bought the frame for $10. Then I traded the engine parts for this engine, sold the head and taillights for $50, and the car body and glass for $700. I didn’t think it would be a difficult build,  I was wrong.  Now I’m down to some minor electrical, bleed the brake lines, fix an axle seal and a few other laborious details.   My Lyme infection has slowed me but it is slowly abating.  So are the controls ready, I believe so.    

At a hay meadow it was always said that when counting the stacks, there would always be one or two hidden stacks. Same with a build, their is always an item or two invisible items.  Chow. 

Okay, so before the engine goes in, those control tubes have to be replaced.

Then you’ve gotta have the throttle cable and the clutch cable hooked up to the pedals, and the pedals have to be screwed into the tunnel.

At some point you have to weld that tunnel up without screwing up those control tubes.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I have had a fatigue relapse so lost three days, back in the shop some again. I repaired a leaking axle seal and have installed a new pedal assembly yesterday. With an old stiff body, that was a challenge.  Clutch and accelerator cables are also in, so about ready to install the engine.

Side bar, I have an R11 BW overdrive transmission, is anyone looking for one.

Heat, still in the 100’s, will remain thus for another 10 days. 

2F3BA3C2-7D22-4DE0-8723-37748AD394AD.jpeg

1A1DE988-7FDC-4CAD-BE4F-3596960B2318.jpeg

Well you are making some progress then. It’s been August hot and almost impossible to work during the day. I get everything done in the mornings before 10 and then after 9 o’clock at night.

By the way, if you ever run into another skip tooth bicycle don’t sell it so cheap. I just saw a chain and sprockets go for what you sold the whole bike for.