Cleaning underside - about to lift body

Bryan

They did find out that the sprayon undercoating that the factory and also the independent dealers were doing was doing more harm than good.

The main reason is that when forst applied it worked to repel water and rust but as the sprayon material got britel and then would chip off becasue of a rock hitting the under carriage this would leae a small hole inwhich water and salt and other chemical could seep into the hole and then the water was trapped between the metal and the coating and then more internal rusting starting and the owner never saw the rusting because of the coating on the underbody.

I would suggest clean the under carraige and then coat with some rustolem or pors15 and then keep a watch on the under body.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

Rich reminded me of the ‘Rusty Jones” treatments from the late ‘70’s or early ‘80’s. I remember seeing many cars with the “Rusty Jones” decal being rusted worse than other vehicles of the same era. 

“Guaranteed Rustproofing” … should have said, “Guaranteed Rust-Out” 

image.jpeg.c3e12abfd56faaf878c5481121ccbcc4.jpeg

16 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

They did find out that the sprayon undercoating that the factory and also the independent dealers were doing was doing more harm than good.

I would suggest clean the under carraige and then coat with some rustolem or pors15 and then keep a watch on the under body.

Rich Hartung

Scraping everything off and going to use Rustoleum rust reformer on everything.  Had good results when I painted the rusty rear end on my truck with it. Let it cure 2 weeks and used enamel.  I bought 2- 4x4 8ft long boards to use to lift the body. Got to cut them to a little under 6 ft. Bought 6 jack stands, extra floor jack, already extra to the 4 jack stands I already have. Double locking type with pin. Lifting body up about 1 ft, or high enough to get the tops of the frame & body over frame.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, sidevalvepete said:

Haven't heard from you for a while Bryan. Hope everything ok. You were a pretty active poster with your project...

Thanks for asking. Had a few health problems that interfered.  Finally got over sciatic nerve problems after over a month, thought I'd get to work and crawl under the car before it got cold.   We finally went to church mid Oct and got Covid even after getting booster shot a few weeks before. Wife didn't though being around me at home all week..  Wasn't  bad, just out for 2 weeks. Got better and we started trying to catch up other work around the house while it was warm here, mostly pressure washing and final grass cutting.   Got sick again with some crap I picked up in Israel.  It's a minor cold I have 4-5 times a winter where just so worn out don't feel like doing much.  Just now feeling better, been painting my wife's smoking room (small bathroom) for about 2 weeks off and on as I have energy, finished yesterday.   Now the weather won't warm up in SC. Fear was that it would get cold and I couldn't lay under the car.   Glad you asked. Didn't think a lot of people cared.  I'd post stuff about oil galleries and possible manufacturing defects, hardly anything.  Seemed like people were more interested in how to flush a radiator..  I need to get in a better mood and get motivated. Got new brake lines, gas lines, parts etc..just not enough oophm in me to do other stuff now.  Really appreciate your concern.

• Like 2

Rest up and get well. Hard to be motivated when you don't feel well. Cold weather doesn't help much either. Winter is coming here in Iowa. Snow flurries outside right now. Went out to clean up some leaves that have blown around. Cold.

• Like 1

No worries. A lot of us doing that walk I suppose. We are an older bunch. Had my share in the last twelve months too that has taken up precious time...3rd hip replacement, lymphoma with chemo and radiation treatment and currently my first touch with the covid thing. North of sixty and we don't need these hiccups. But you deal with them better than our younger versions probably. Glad to hear you are still in the race. Take care from down under...?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I hope you have recovered somewhat Bryan, I follow your progress on the Dodge and have been trying to get back to working on the 48 Plymouth 4dr. I need to put the head back on after unsticking a valve and see if she'll run. Its been sitting in the shop for awhile now and I have new parts that need to be put on. I had the Covid back in November wasn't too bad, so now have no excuse stay motivated!

• Like 1

Holy crap what we do and go through to get the parts we need!! I have drug a floor jack through the mud, soft sand etc... and then when you have to push it while laying down oh boy! what a PITA!! crawling around in the snow is even more fun, good on ya Bryan for hangin' in there!

On 7/29/2022 at 11:01 AM, Sniper said:

You were smart to loosen the head bolts with the engine still in the car.  When I did that on my core 230, it was on an engine stand and I didn't use an impact, it was pretty comical with me trying to loosen them and my son trying to keep the engine stand from moving.  Ended up having to get the cheater pipe out for a couple of them.

when I pulled the head on mine I gave the head bolts and good smack with a ball peen hammer prior to backing all of them out successfully that tends to break up the rust and what not

41 minutes ago, Marcel Backs said:

Check out KBS Coatings. Their Aqua Clean de-greaser, KBS Blast surface treatment and Rust Seal paint are second to none. The final finish is bulletproof and rust is completely arrested. I am using this system on my D-14 with great success. I get it up here at NAPA M

so how are you applying the Aqua Clean degreaser?

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I think we tried that too, but I slept since then so it might have been a dream, lol.

yah Im a little late to the party here, haven't been on here for quite awhile.

On 9/4/2022 at 9:33 AM, Bryan said:

Scraping everything off and going to use Rustoleum rust reformer on everything.  Had good results when I painted the rusty rear end on my truck with it. Let it cure 2 weeks and used enamel.  I bought 2- 4x4 8ft long boards to use to lift the body. Got to cut them to a little under 6 ft. Bought 6 jack stands, extra floor jack, already extra to the 4 jack stands I already have. Double locking type with pin. Lifting body up about 1 ft, or high enough to get the tops of the frame & body over frame.

as mentioned before in this thread, I think POR 15 has to be one of the best coatings that I have used on metal that already has surface rust, I have used it on extremely rusted/ pitted surfaces as well, and it really sticks and does not come off. Speaking of not coming off make sure that you wear gloves or you'll be marked for awhile.

• Like 1

Also if you happen to have a person in your area that owns a Dustless Blaster (look them up on You Tube) they operate off of high water pressure and use any kind of media that floats in water without any heat to the surface of your project what so ever. My son owned one and they are amazing!  They can strip a car completely in 40 minutes, and with using just duct tape where you dont want it to remove any paint or mare any finish. 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:05 AM, Bryan said:

Thanks for asking. Had a few health problems that interfered.  Finally got over sciatic nerve problems after over a month, thought I'd get to work and crawl under the car before it got cold. 

I feel your pain on the sciatic nerves  .... The way I understand it & feel it ... Is arthritis growing around the nerves that pass through your tail bone.

The arthritis pinches the nerves to your legs .... causing pain to the legs. ..... Not something you get over.

I wake every morning & judge my day from the existing pain I have in my legs, before I get out of bed & add too the pain.

We just learn to deal with it. I have been disabled for 12 years because of a back injury, Social Security just uses the sciatic nerve damage as a reason ....

This is why I bought my truck in 2018, very slowly working on getting it back on the road. I think of the truck as a physical exercise. Lifting, bending, twisting ... is good forced exercise I normally would not do.

Just putting the truck up on jack stands can be all I can do for one day.

I understand where @Bryan says needs some warm weather ....All we can do is try, accept our limitations as a challenge & keep on going.

Lying on cold concrete with arthritis is a huge problem.

• 4 months later...

Still alive and kicking. Got sidetracked when we finally received ownership of my step-mother's place after she died late 2021.  Between 3 other siblings only my brother and I are able to work on it. Repairs, clearing house, yard clearing, selling furniture, etc is a full time job. might be a while before I can start on the car again.

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_20230611_135225.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

• Like 1