Check the vent

Kilgore47

One of the projects a couple of years back while trying to get the 47 P15 back on the road was a complete brake job.  When the rear drums came off everything was covered in grease.  The PO told me they had done a brake job and I could tell that the shoes looked new.  They must not have replaced the seals.  When I see stuff like that I always say to myself "I can fix that".  And I did.  After new seals, bearings, cylinders and shoes everything looked and worked like new.  Well - A couple of days back with the car in the air for another project I noticed a drop of oil on the floor under the left rear wheel.  So I pulled the drum off and everything is covered in grease.  The new seal must have failed.  Pulled the other side off and the same thing.  Covered in grease.  Turns out I did the same thing the PO did.  Didn't check the vent and it was plugged.  It's clear now and new parts are on order.   

I can fix that - I think

• Like 3

I vented earlier today, but that was at the grocery store, lol. 

As I age I am more and more fond of checklists.  Must be the military coming back to haunt me.  When I run across something like this I add it to the list.  One day it might help me.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Sniper
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I vented earlier today, but that was at the grocery store, lol. 

Cant say I blame you  :)

I just thought @Kilgore47post comes at a perfect time for me. Obvious from the photo I have lots of work ahead of me ... Everything works fine as is, I just need to get the frame stripped & painted then run the new wiring, brake lines, shocks ....  then work on the mechanical. Brake hydraulics, shoes, drums are done. I need to go through the drive line & ujoints, change the oil blah  blah  blah .... Not once did I think about a truck parked in a field for 20 years would have a plugged vent.

I really do appreciate the tip & will check that while I'm here.

0630221053.jpg.ec6f41794478aea2ad1cac1e94d02bc8.jpg

• Like 1

Cannuck - You may not need to replace the bearings.  The axle bearings on the P15 were changed because they were dry and rusted.  Fell apart when I pulled the axles.  And that fixed the rumbling noise.  Seals are a good idea and fairly easy to replace.  

On another note - Newer cars I have worked on didn't have an inner seal on the axle.  The oil in the rear end lubricates the axle bearings.  Has anyone left the inner seal out on one of these old cars and did it work?    That could eliminate a lubrication point that is often overlooked.