48' Plymouth with a 200 Ford inline six

robertethomasjr96

I have a 48' plymouth with a chrysler 251 in it. The radiator has already been moved foward to put this engine in. Unfortunatelly it's getting tired and I drive this car daily (30,000 miles in 2 years) the whole drive train needs replacing and I'd like to put a Ford 200 with an overdrive transmission in. They're easier and cheaper to find parts for and plentiful. Has anyone done this and will it fit in the engine bay without having to move anything around? (Fire wall, radiator, etc.)

I think its a great idea. Smells like a falcon or Ranchero swap.And thats all 12 v (might be a little under powered)

no tape measure with me but I got to believe the whole powertrain is smaller

Edited by Booger
spel

While I have nothing to say about the 200 Ferd 6, they were a good engine ..... Same time the Ferd 300 6 has broken records of how reliable it is.

Now if you have a 200 & going with it, fine .... If you are searching & can find a 300, Thats where I would invest my time .... The 200 is not a bad engine either.

The Ford 300 6 has been around for decades and a very solid motor.

• Like 1

Only thing I would add is what are you going to do about a parking brake as stock they are on the driveline.........do you intend to swap the rear axle as well, then if its from the same Ford as the engine etc then it will have the parking brake setup also...........here in Oz some guys stick the Oz only 245/265 "Hemi" 6  or the DOHC Ford Barra 6 where early 6's used to live........andyd 

My preference in Ford sixes of that vintage would be 250.   about the same size and weight as the 170/200 with more torque and the same rear bolt pattern as the 302 v 8..   Lots more trans choices.

The 200 doesn't have adequate low end torque to suit me.

14 hours ago, Los_Control said:

While I have nothing to say about the 200 Ferd 6, they were a good engine ..... Same time the Ferd 300 6 has broken records of how reliable it is.

Now if you have a 200 & going with it, fine .... If you are searching & can find a 300, Thats where I would invest my time .... The 200 is not a bad engine either.

The Ford 300 6 has been around for decades and a very solid motor.

The 240 is the same block and came in some Ford cars.  Should have the same reliability. The 300 only came in trucks.

we drive a 1949 plymouth p17 2 door fastback with a 200 six and a small c-4. it just drives so nice and smooth. plenty of power and fits the engine compartment without cutting up anything. the steering is all stock. the engine is so light we has to use aerostar front coils with one coil cut off to get to sit level.  it has a 1962 nova differential. we made the engine mounting brackets. you can watch the videos on you tube. classics rule is the channel. 

I must say I am surprised by the responses to this topic so far.

In the past I noticed a lot of hostility on this forum towards those who would dare put a non-Mopar engine in their cars.

Has the tide turned? ?

I still have my 47 Plymouth with its 350 Chevy V8 and I still enjoy it as much as ever.

Edited by kbuhagiar
  • Like 1

What about a 225 slant 6. There were bulletproof engines and the torque flight transmission was bulletproof as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kbuhagiar said:

I must say I am surprised by the responses to this topic so far.

In the past I noticed a lot of hostility on this forum towards those who would dare put a non-Mopar engine in their cars.

Has the tide turned? ?

I still have my 47 Plymouth with its 350 Chevy V8 and I still enjoy it as much as ever.

Maybe it's the realization that people can do what they want with their cars.  Not everybody has the money/time to overhaul a flathead, if you have another good engine it might be the most economical thing to do.  

• Like 1

And some of the worst offenders have moved on.  While I am not a fan of Ford engines in general I am of the camp that it is your car, do with it as you please and if the occasion every arises that I feel so offended by your plans for your car I'll make you an offer that will entice you to sell to me me so I can "save it".  Never happened and never will though.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, kbuhagiar said:

Has the tide turned? ?

Audience is now pretty much numb would be my guess, but of course so much of this is pure talk anyway.  Many of the suggestions are from those that have never fitted such a swap.   My thoughts are that people tend to put in what they may have on hand or free to them from a friend.  I do not think it is for any other reasons.   

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

My thoughts are that people tend to put in what they may have on hand or free to them from a friend.  I do not think it is for any other reasons.

I agree completely. I once had a 1930 Ford Model A 4 door Blind back. I bought it not knowing much about restoring it. I eventually found I only had the shell with no wood framing. To restore this would have cost me thousands more than the car would have been worth restored. I decided to street rod it. I found a Chevy 350 4 bolt dirt cheap. 

If I had all the money in the world I would have done something different.

If it's your car build it the way you want but remember resale value.